Aquarium flow question

GatorJAB

I've recently downsized from a 150 FOWLR to a 90. It's been years since i've set a tank up but this one is 90 drilled with Sump with dual bags, Eshopps PSK200, Mag 12 down below. In the tank is a 2" live sand bed, about 40 lbs base rock, two Koralia1050's and one Koralia 1400. Basic t12 lighting ( 2 x 10,000 and 2 actinic ) these are my first plan to upgrade.

Here are a couple of questions I would appreciate your comments.

1) Is the mag12 too much pump? I figure it will turn about 800 gallons an hour at 5' head ( there are no elbows from pump to return except of course the elbow at the actual return.

2) Are the Koralia's too much? again 2 x 1050's and 1 x 1400 = 3500 gph flow in the tank.

3) If I decide to stay fish only for a little while is this WAY too much flow for the fish?

4) My plan is too add more base rock and seed it. Then I would like to add some SPS. - Is the flow okay for this?

5) Lights - looking at T5 with 4 x 65w ( 2 x 10000 and 2 x actinic ) or LED?

Current live stock is a 3" yellow tang, 2" blue tang, and two x 1" Percula Clowns along with some snails and hermit crabs.

Tank is stable and appreciate your comments.

Attachments

I recently got back into saltwater tanks after several years. I agree with you that you will need more rocks. Especially since tangs love to pick around. I 3 hydor powerheads in my 75. But its 3 of the 1050's. So I think you will be find. I recently got my led light. led is more but like it more. Had t5 for many years. Never had a issue but wanted change.

mr. limpid

For return the basic is turn over the tank 10 times an hour, you are fine with what you have. When you need to replace your return pump you can up size then. As for your power heads there is never to much flow only not enough. As for lighting it's preference, my choice for fish only is a shop light with T8's daylight bulbs, for corals I would go with LED's, besides you will love the look vs T12's.
Just my 2 cents

mandy111

I believe recent changes in thought on return flow has happened In the last few years. Flow within the tank seems to be of more importance than the actually turnover of the tank itself. It appears that for a sump to work with the most efficiency too fast a flow is not necessarily the answer. The water needs to run through the sump at a speed that enables macro algea, live rock bacteria etc to consume nasties & nutrients. Too fast a flow this does not have time to happen. Often you will see people with 10x turn over still struggling with phos & nitrates For example I have a 1500lt system & run a 6000lt/phr return. Nitrates always undetectable. So I only turnover 4 x the tank volume. Flow inside the tank is what we need to have lots of I run 2 x 150w gyers that turn over 20,000lts hr each. You will do well with T5 lighting. With lps & sps. It's a well proven light for colour & growth.

pegasus

I believe recent changes in thought on return flow has happened In the last few years. Flow within the tank seems to be of more importance than the actually turnover of the tank itself. It appears that for a sump to work with the most efficiency too fast a flow is not necessarily the answer. The water needs to run through the sump at a speed that enables macro algea, live rock bacteria etc to consume nasties & nutrients. Too fast a flow this does not have time to happen. Often you will see people with 10x turn over still struggling with phos & nitrates For example I have a 1500lt system & run a 6000lt/phr return. Nitrates always undetectable. So I only turnover 4 x the tank volume. Flow inside the tank is what we need to have lots of I run 2 x 150w gyers that turn over 20,000lts hr each. You will do well with T5 lighting. With lps & sps. It's a well proven light for colour & growth.
+1. Many people get confused with flow rates, not realizing that the majority of the flow should happen inside the tank. To add to what Mandy pointed out, not only should the flow through the refugium be slow enough to allow nutrient uptake, it also needs to be slow enough to allow critters such as amphipods, copepods, mysis, etc., a fairly calm environment where they can grow and breed. Not only are they excellent additions to your clean up crew, they're also free food for your tank's inhabitants. 4X is a very good turnover rate for a refugium (sumps can flow faster). If you plan to go with time-tested T5 HO lighting, I'd recommend a 6 bulb fixture instead of a 4 bulb if you plan to have SPS corals. High light demanding acros may require an 8 bulb T5, but 6 bulbs will cover most SPS corals... including numerous acros. Just my 2c...