Can i get corals shipped to Hawaii?

celbrise

i live in Hawaii and none of the stores here sell corals or inverts not even the salt water fish stores. Just wondering if anyone knows if they are legal from a website to ship without complications like a special license or something like that. i plan to buy from a website not sure which

celbrise

no sadly it is really ironic imo i mean we live in Hawaii we have corals here. they support catching salt water fish in the ocean and selling it but not corals i know that as the LFS that sells fish here gets it that way.

no LFS here sells corals nor do they sell any inverts. might call and as the salt water LFS here if they can get some in. i read somewhere that somebody actually on a website shipped some corals to a buyer here before with no issues. so i assumed it was legal.

jay0705

Hawaii is weird. They wana stop collecting fish in Hawaiian waters. The coral issue is bc they don't any market for it bc people would b tempted to collect illegally. You prob could buy them from a private person tho. Say a fragger

celbrise

yea Hawaii has some pretty stupid laws in general feels like a prison living here. i don't know anyone here that sells frags live rock alone is hard to get here i think i read somewhere that it's illegal to harvest in the wild. really want some corals badly. i don't think it would become an issue for harvesting local corals/fragging them most people here cannot afford Salt water aquariums too pricey due to all the shipping fee's what costs you say $20 would easily be $40-50 for us because of shipping fee's and bills. salt water products here are very low in demand and scarce to find in stores thus why i typically just buy my stuff all online unless im desperate.

i don't know many people who'd actually go out of their way to illegally harvest corals and sell them drugs yes they are plentiful here probably where the concern should be rather then harvesting illegal corals plus if you ship frags that are local here i wouldn't see an issue rather then harvesting local corals to sell in stores.

pegasus

A lot of corals come from the Aussie region. Have you tried to see if any can be shipped to HI?

celbrise

i just read an article yesterday that all corals are illegal here :/ someone said zoans were legal but then i think those too are illegal here as someone also said those were illegal. same with inverts which explains why theirs really no one here that sells inverts or has them. i see some people selling inverts but typically they are shrimp you can find here and i am not sure how they got it but i cannot keep inverts at all atm yet alone corals but in the future i was planning too. the only thing legal to keep besides fish is live rock. i probably check some sites but i think they all don't ship to Hawaii. never seen anyone here with corals not real ones at least and inverts for SW aquariums are also rare. dead corals are plentiful ironically and can cost an arm and a leg we have some i was going to grow coralline algae on them if possible.

celbrise

just checked this website that sells local zoans not even they will sell to locals here so i think it is safe to say it is illegal to keep corals as of now. saw a law stating it is legal to sell ONLY if they are dredging or something like that they it is legal to sell the corals in that site. i am sad ):