Smaller place, bigger tank...My 200DD build

lmforbis

Didn't think about the copper contaminating the tank. I used copper in my old QT and it didn't work so I went the hypo route. When I got the naso tang I bought a 40b (20 was too small for naso and powder brown) so that one has never seen copper. I plan to convert that to a clown fish tank when I get all the fish in my big tank. Note to self don't use copper in the future clownfish tank.

eric b 125

Came home from work tonight and one of the anthias was dead and the rest of the fish are breathing rapidly and not eating. Ammonia, trites and trates all tested zero. I have a water change mixing for the morning, but I will be surprised if any of them make it through the night. I have no idea what happened, but a few days ago the QT started going downhill, fast. With a week-long trip coming up, I almost hope they die tonight and just stop suffering.

If they die, which I fully expect they will (not that I won't try to turn this around, because I will) I will be adding one large or two-three small fish at a time from here on out. This is just too much BS.

eric b 125

In the hour since my last post two more anthia have died. All signs point to a QT full of death in the morning.

I will scrub it out real good, run fresh water through it and let it run with saltwater while I'm away. The Friday before I get back, I'll order a flame angel, Midas blenny, and purple firefish and start QT all over.

I really don't know what's happening. I worked my butt off to QT these fish and so far I've lost roughly $500 in fish and way more in time and effort.

eric b 125

I just listed the DT for sale on a few forums. I just don't have time for this anymore. If I sell it, I will keep the BC29 and equip it with top-of-the-line stuff.

pegasus

Wow... that sucks! If parameters are good, and fish were healthy when you got them, it's hard to narrow down the cause of death(s). Not saying anthias are iffy to begin with, but anthias are iffy to begin with. I've never had long-term success with anthias. Kept one alive almost a year, but the others... not so much. I have noticed that if anthias tend to get agitated without a lot of space. Not sure if the confines of the QT is stressing them too much. So sad. Let us know how the other fish fare...

eric b 125

Surprisingly, both tangs survived the night. All of the anthias are dead, though. Neither one of the remaining fish look too good...both are breathing rapidly and the naso has ich. I did a 20 gallon water change already and treated with Prazi Pro.

The good news is: both fish are eating nori, which is something they had no interest in last night. I will be amazed if their breathing normalizes and they make it another day.

eric b 125

Wow... that sucks! If parameters are good, and fish were healthy when you got them, it's hard to narrow down the cause of death(s). Not saying anthias are iffy to begin with, but anthias are iffy to begin with. I've never had long-term success with anthias. Kept one alive almost a year, but the others... not so much. I have noticed that if anthias tend to get agitated without a lot of space. Not sure if the confines of the QT is stressing them too much. So sad. Let us know how the other fish fare...
The fish were "healthy" and in QT for 2 months. I can't say I'm totally bummed about the anthias. Truth be told: I have too many other hobbies to be around the house enough to feed them three times a day and I'm not very happy with the auto-feeder I have.

Pity-party aside, I'm still toying with the idea of selling the DT. The only reason I am even a little hesitant is because I know that once these issues go away, which they will in time, the tank will reach equilibrium and will be much less of a hassle. Additionally, once the weather changes and it gets too cold to do the other things I'm into, I will need something to keep me busy. If I'm REAL honest with myself, I know that a 29BC won't satisfy me for long.

pegasus

Surprisingly, both tangs survived the night. All of the anthias are dead, though. Neither one of the remaining fish look too good...both are breathing rapidly and the naso has ich. I did a 20 gallon water change already and treated with Prazi Pro.

The good news is: both fish are eating nori, which is something they had no interest in last night. I will be amazed if their breathing normalizes and they make it another day.
Well... eating is a good sign. If you could get them to eat some minced garlic, that would help boost their immune systems. Water parameters appear very good, but have you tested the pH? Just a thought...

The fish were "healthy" and in QT for 2 months. I can't say I'm totally bummed about the anthias. Truth be told: I have too many other hobbies to be around the house enough to feed them three times a day and I'm not very happy with the auto-feeder I have.

Pity-party aside, I'm still toying with the idea of selling the DT. The only reason I am even a little hesitant is because I know that once these issues go away, which they will in time, the tank will reach equilibrium and will be much less of a hassle. Additionally, once the weather changes and it gets too cold to do the other things I'm into, I will need something to keep me busy. If I'm REAL honest with myself, I know that a 29BC won't satisfy me for long.
I think you already know where this is heading. Sometimes it's best to step back a moment and figure out what went wrong. That's how we keep from making mistakes. Not saying it's anything you did, but if you can find the cause, it makes it so much easier to prevent it in the future. ;)

eric b 125

I think you already know where this is heading. Sometimes it's best to step back a moment and figure out what went wrong. That's how we keep from making mistakes. Not saying it's anything you did, but if you can find the cause, it makes it so much easier to prevent it in the future. ;)
I'm all for taking a step back. I'm familiar with the waxing and waning of my interest in this hobby. I still have the system listed for sale and I will entertain reasonable offers. In the meantime I'm going to continue to work with it and if I decide not to sell it then I'll still have made some progress.

This thing takes a lot of time and I've not been able to enjoy it because of all the work it's taken to keep the dino's down. Really, it's been one problem after another. I'm starting another semester in two months and on top of that, I am getting that motor scooter which I plan on touring with, especially once it gets too chilly for my GF to kayak. The other thing is that I rent so it's going to be a pain to move. This is pretty much a moot point since I'll have to help move it if I sell it. I'm kind of indifferent at this point.

Taking care of both the 200 and the 29BC reminded me how much easier it is to care for a smaller tank. Speaking of which: both tangs in QT survived my time away, though the naso still has spots. I did an 8 gallon water change on the QT this morning and I'm mixing a 30 gallon w/c for the DT for tomorrow. I switched to reef crystals which I'm hoping will have a positive effect on the dinos as well as the coral. Like I said, I will continue to try to make progress.

As for Bermuda: great island but so touristy. I went snorkeling and will post pictures at some point, maybe tomorrow.

pegasus

Sounds like you've got a lot of activities that will keep you busy, and possibly not allow the dedication and time that this hobby requires. As much as I hate to see anyone not go all out, I know there is more to life than saltwater... like swimming and diving in it. I understand...

gemmy

What a bummer to hear about the troubles you have been having! Have you thought about the natureef system or something similar? I know some people are having great results with it.

eric b 125

Sounds like you've got a lot of activities that will keep you busy, and possibly not allow the dedication and time that this hobby requires. As much as I hate to see anyone not go all out, I know there is more to life than saltwater... like swimming and diving in it. I understand...
I certainly do not want out of the hobby, but this is getting a bit ridiculous...ich, green hair algae, dinos, aiptasia, dying fish, little to no coral growth/ coral loss, etc.. In the (less than a) year that this tank has been running, all the time I've put towards it has been solely to get back to zero. I've never had to put this kind of time and effort towards this hobby before. I know that this is how it goes and I don't want to sound like I'm whining, but at some point something's got to give. Either I'm going to start seeing positive results from the work I've put in or I'm just going to downsize to the 29BC and start over. I will not start over with this 200g and risk having to do all of this all over on this scale. I have other stuff I want to be doing with my time.

I'm not throwing-in the towel yet though. I'm still giving it a fair shot until I get a realistic offer on the DT system. If, by that time, I can find some enjoyment out of this, then I'll keep the big guy. I love this tank but half an hour every day fighting a losing battle is wearing me a bit thin. I did a 30 gallon w/c on the DT this morning with Reef Crystals and am mixing another 30g of hypo because the QT needs a big w/c badly. When I did the w/c this morning on the DT I tossed a MJ1200 in the fuge, mixed it up real good and connected a hose from the MJ to run through a 100 micron filter sock to help clear all the gunk that had settled in there. I cleaned the skimmer and siphoned out the little amount of dinos I could find. Once I do a water change on the QT tomorrow I will mix another one for the DT. I'm thinking maybe some of the poor-looking corals could be secondary to no w/c's on the DT b/c of the dinos. A w/c without feeding dinos would be a huge motivational boost to keep the DT.

What a bummer to hear about the troubles you have been having! Have you thought about the natureef system or something similar? I know some people are having great results with it.
I haven't really considered it. I have an idea of what I'll do with the 29BC if I downsize. I will keep it simple with top-of-the-line equipment.

eric b 125

I've had some offers on the DT system, but they've been borderline offensive. I know that I can't expect to get 1/2 of what I invested but I'm also not in a super hurry to sell the tank so today was another day of keeping-up with the dinos which came back after the w/c.

Also did a quick 5 gallon w/c on the QT. The naso still has spots but the PBT looks fine.

I have two kayaking trips coming up this month. One down the Middle Allegheny river trail and one through the PA Grand Canyon (as long as water levels permit). If the water levels are low then I'll do both trips on the Middle Allegheny.

The offers I've had on the DT have me considering breaking the system down, cleaning it out really well and starting over with new Marco Rocks and new sand. It would be a weekend job to get all of the rock and sand replaced and everything cleaned, but if spending another $500 to get back to zero is more appealing to me than losing as much $ as I would stand to lose on selling at the price on the offers I've gotten.

I wonder if bleaching the existing rocks for a few days in FW and replacing the sand would be another option?

novahobbies

Probably an acid wash on the sand would be a better approach than bleaching. I've never done it, but seen it done. From what I understand, an acid bath will help draw out any phosphates that are bound up in the rock itself. Definitely something to consider.

I am so sorry for all the troubles and headaches this tank has been putting you through. It's testing you resolve, man. It wants to know how badly you REALLY want to keep going. ;-)

Selling an aquarium system is always, ALWAYS a battle you will lose. I have sold tanks before, and it's ridiculous how much people will try to screw you over for. Your best bet is to sit down and decide how much at minimum you want for the system. What are you willing to let it go for and only feel SLIGHTLY scammed? Take that price.....double it.....and be prepared for the lowball. You have the right idea, though - you're only going to get a decent price on it if you're willing to wait a while. The first few weeks will be nothing but little fish trying to nibble.

eric b 125

I would sooner donate the tank to a nursing home than sell it for peanuts. I'm not considering selling it because I need the money and I'm not going to let this tank get one last jab at me, LOL. This is a half decent setup and I've worked very hard on it, so that's what I'll continue to do until I can't take it anymore or until it gives be a break.

One thing that I hadn't considered until it was brought to my attention yesterday was my source water. It's pretty much been right in front of me the entire time: every time I do a water change I get a dino bloom. Later this week I'm going to go buy 30 gallons of RODI from one of the nicer LFS's around me and see what happens when I do a water change. I've never had a problem with my Kati/Ani but it's worth investigating.

One thing I really liked about the Kati/Ani was that it ran a lot of water without waste and is a cinch to hook-up. If the source water is a culprit, then I'll probably get the water saver RODI from TFG's with an inline TDS meter and hook up the auto shut-off. As far as RODI goes, I think this unit will be as close to the Kati/Ani when considering the ease and time factors.

This would really be the ideal fix and right now it makes the most sense. One thing is for sure: what I've been doing isn't working. It's time to try some other things before getting defeated by trying the same things over and over and expecting different results.

Aside from my two kayak camping trips over the next month I have some extensive/expensive cosmetic dentistry that I have scheduled. I've been wanting to get my teeth laser-whitened for a while but I was smoking cigs and it seemed pointless. I haven't had a cigarette in over 6 months and it's time to get back to a white grill. Before getting into the healthcare profession, I was a sponsored competitive snowboarder. I broke half of each of my two front teeth on a handrail and since the bonding on them won't whiten with my real teeth I have to get the bonding replaced with caps at the same time that I get them lasered. Plus I have two old fillings that will need to be replaced for the same reason. Since it's all cosmetic, the several thousand dollar cost had to be paid in cash.

Needless to say: the time and money that I would save if my DT problems could be solved with a good RODI would be welcomed.