new clowns, I'm new

Hello. I just introduced my first fish and inverts into my new tank last eve. Its a 10g.

http://postimg.org/image/qubvsxdgx/

Since that pic was taken i moved the air stone, and lowered the middle rock about 2 inches and made it more stable.

I got 2 ORA False Percula's from the store here.

My question is should i cut some PVC pipe and put under that rock for a small cave for them? or if they want to hide will the rock overhead be enough? They seam to be swimming a lot around the corners and against the glass. I have noticed today that they are starting to use more of the tank and not just swimming in a corner like they stayed in all last eve. Are they always active or do they settle in after a few days?

about 2-3 hours after i first added them into the tank i tried to feed. One ate a fair amount of the new life spectrum pellet. I had to break the pellet up a little since the fish are small and the pellets are a little large. The other fish kept spitting out the pieces. It was hard to tell if that one actually ate anything or spit it all back out.

bang guy

Clownfish do not typically hang out in caves so there is no need to build one for them. They move constantly, even when sleeping but like to stick to an area they adopted. Ocellaris tend to claim an area about the size of an 18" half sphere. Since this is larger than your tank they will claim the entire tank.

jay0705

Try frozen brine, mysis, spirulina brine. At first they can be picky. Tank raised have only been fed whatev the breeder feeds them.

thanks for the reply. I didn't think they had hideouts but i wasn't sure since i don't have an anemones. its been less than 24 hours with inhabitants, and i'm already hooked. Looks like i'll have to find a stand for my 40g lol

I'm working on setting up my QT tank today in case i have any probs.

Do most LFS sell the food you mention jay?

jay0705

Most do yes. I like hikari frozen. Some folks make there own by blending varies seafoods and freezing too. Clowns don't need anemones, even if present they don't always host.

Stop_drop_adam

Clownfish generally don't eat right away after being put into a new tank. Maybe, like mine, not even for a few days. They like open space and them swimming in the corners is also normal. This being because they temporarily host corners for sleep until they have either an anemone or a better spot to host. Mine hosts the top left corner of the tank even though I have an anemone. This is all preference to the clownfish.

Thanks for the info. Mine actually ate the first few hours they were in the tank. And lately have been learning the food bowl as i have to break up the 1mm pellets for them to eat in the bowl first and just dump from the bowl into the tank 6-8 pieces 2x a day. They have been leaving their corner and looking around the last few days, but always come darting back into the home corner in the front left of the tank.