Getting ready to buy lighting for my 90g build.

chrisely24

I need some advice, i decided to scrap the old t5 ho lights that came with the tank I got off of CL.
I found some that are 8 bulb 432w, 4 10k sunlight bulbs and 4 actinic bulbs with moonlight led's and programmable timer for 239.00
The tank is 48x24x18, do you think it will be enough lighting for whatever I want to eventually put in the tank?

I would like to go all LED but the cost of what I will need for that tank will be a lot more than the t5's right?

Thanks.

Dflo

Look at either Currents Orbit Marine LED or AI prime. Can get 48" current for about 200-250 or primes for 199 each. Prob just need 2 primes if went that route

Wisehart

Not sure what your putting in the tank but I just bought a fluval led from ***** for $140 it says 3 - 25,000k. All I know is it is twice as bright as the florescent bulbs. BTW my tank is 27 tall.

pegasus

Thanks, I dropped the hammer on the 320w maxspect razor.
Ouch... but yum! LOL!!! You'll do much better with the Maxspect than with the cheapo T5 you were using. Sorry Wisehart, but the Fluval isn't a wise choice for a reef tank. If you want a bright light, you're okay. It's not the brightness of the light that matters to corals. In fact, too much light will kill them. Light that you can't see is very important to growing healthy corals.

geridoc

Ouch... but yum! LOL!!! You'll do much better with the Maxspect than with the cheapo T5 you were using. Sorry Wisehart, but the Fluval isn't a wise choice for a reef tank. If you want a bright light, you're okay. It's not the brightness of the light that matters to corals. In fact, too much light will kill them. Light that you can't see is very important to growing healthy corals.
I agree. In fact. the wavelengths that you perceive as "bright" are among the wavelengths that support photosynthesis in algae, but not in corals. Hence, you will need to watch out for an explosion of hair algae.

Wisehart

I didn't realize he had coral. That is why I started off with " I don't know what your putting in the tank. " I know nothing of coral lol. But thank you for the knowledge.

pegasus

I didn't realize he had coral. That is why I started off with " I don't know what your putting in the tank. " I know nothing of coral lol. But thank you for the knowledge.
"The tank is 48x24x18, do you think it will be enough lighting for whatever I want to eventually put in the tank?"

I'm pretty sure "whatever" doesn't mean fish or inverts, as the old T5 would have been sufficient for those. After dropping $800+ on a light, my impression is that chrisley is working towards a reef tank, which involves corals. Although, there's a good chance I may have read too much into it...

Wisehart

All I know is i have go coral I'm picking your brain lol. I have no knowledge of them and may go that direction after I am comfortable with saltwater life

pegasus

All I know is i have go coral I'm picking your brain lol. I have no knowledge of them and may go that direction after I am comfortable with saltwater life
There'll be meager pickings if you're picking my brain! :eek:

You have the right approach... get comfortable with saltwater life by getting the basics down pat, and then work your way up. It's a slow process, but good things come to those who wait. Patience is a virtue, and never more so than in this hobby.

I can't help but wonder... how many of those tanks that they throw together on the show "Tanked" crash as soon as they stop filming??? Hmm...

Wisehart

Patients is something I am definitely learning in this hobby.

Yes I have wondered the same on that show. They do build beautiful tanks. I am betting they send someone to check on the tanks often afterwards for upkeep.