Sump and Refugium Size

StuartGA1

I hope everyone is doing well in here. I have a 150 gallon tank and I am thinking of upgrading my refugium. I may try one of the DIY kits that I have been seeing. My question is; What would be an adequate size fuge to go with?:D

lmforbis

Do you have a sump / refugium now? In my opinion you'd want at minimum 40 gallons for sump. You can divide the space how ever you like. I have 29 gallon on 125 about 1/3 is the fuge it would be bigger but I couldn't fit a bigger sump in my stand. I think space is the limiting factor in the large end.

What type of DIY kits are you looking at?

StuartGA1

Do you have a sump / refugium now? In my opinion you'd want at minimum 40 gallons for sump. You can divide the space how ever you like. I have 29 gallon on 125 about 1/3 is the fuge it would be bigger but I couldn't fit a bigger sump in my stand. I think space is the limiting factor in the large end.

What type of DIY kits are you looking at?
I do have one now. It came with the tank. I bought both tank and fuge used. It is a 20 gallon tank with baffles put in. The ones I have seen on Amazon are from a company called Wind Rider Creations.

snakeblitz33

Proflex has good sumps.

A larger glass tank like a 40g would be ideal. A 20g is small if used for a sump and fuge on a 150. I wouldn't chance it using it on a display tank that big as a sump anyway.

A 30 long, a 40g long, a 40g breeder, a 55g might be best if your stand is tall enough.

StuartGA1

Thanks for the good input. This is the best forum I have found. I will take your advice under advisement as I figure out what I can fit and afford.

Thanks.

snakeblitz33

Lol, your welcome.

I know I would have saved a lot of money if I started on forums first, but back in the day, anecdotal evidence was just about all we had and even that was rare.

lmforbis

I actually have a sump from wind rider. It is nice but it took over a month to get it ready to ship. I ordered the kit and I watched his video and read his book while I was waiting. He emails the link as soon as he gets the order. Decided I didn't want to build it. Too much money for something I might mess up. I called the guy and had him build it. Didn't cost much more but shipping was killer. It is quality work and took another 3 weeks to get it. For me I got the one that is 9 inches deep it fit in my stand and everything else I could find was too big. If you are going to get it he sells them on eBay too and they are cheaper because Amazon charges so much to sel them.
Right now mine is I the floor in my dining room. I'm going to use it on another tank in a couple months

StuartGA1

Thanks for the info Imforbis. One reason I am thinking of going with the Wind Rider DYI kit is because I think, with a little rearranging, I can put it together inside the stand. I don't think I will be able to put a larger one in otherwise.

lmforbis

You mean assemble it in the stand? I really doubt it. you need full access to all sides. If you want to PM me your email address I can try to email you his instruction book and you can read through it as see if it looks like something that you want to try.

StuartGA1

You mean assemble it in the stand? I really doubt it. you need full access to all sides. If you want to PM me your email address I can try to email you his instruction book and you can read through it as see if it looks like something that you want to try.
Sorry this is long in coming. Not sure how the PM process works. I would love to take a look at those instructions. How do I PM you?