Fire Shrimp Keep Dying

Krisd

My fire shrimp keep dying in my 29 gallon tank. My parameters are in the normal range and my snails and hermit crabs are doing great. I was just wondering if anyone had any input on why I can't keep fire shrimp in my tank. I have 2 clowns and a Bluefin damsel fish, 4 turbo snails and 8 blue leg hermit crabs.
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
ph 8.4
nitrate 5
salinity 1.022
I do weekly 5 gallon water changes and I feed twice a day. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Krisd

How old is your tank?
How are you acclimating them?
Temp?
My tank is about 5 months old, I acclimate them for about an hour, introducing my tanks water into their bag over that hour slowly. My temp is between 76-78 degrees.

jay0705

Oops nvm. Ok try some pep shrimp. If they live the other should.Shrimp are sensitive to high nitrate, ammonia and such

jay0705

5 months could be a bit early. Uhave hardy fish so they can handle alot. Inverts especially shrimp can't

Krisd

Thanks for the input, I'll wait a bit before I get another shrimp. I've only had 2 fire shrimp and the most recent only lasted 3 days. so that makes me worried for my other inverts. I don't want them to die either. All of my snails and hermit seem to be doing great.

bang guy

Fire shrimp are very reclusive during the day. Did you find an actual dead shrimp other than the molt?

3 days sounds to me like osmotic shock from an inadequate acclimation. What is the difference in salinity between your tank and where the shrimp were purchased?

Krisd

Fire shrimp are very reclusive during the day. Did you find an actual dead shrimp other than the molt?

3 days sounds to me like osmotic shock from an inadequate acclimation. What is the difference in salinity between your tank and where the shrimp were purchased?
Yeah I found the dead shrimp no molt had happened. They told me the salinity was 1.023.

jay0705

I would let ur tank settle and age a bit then try again. Maybe a few pep or camel shrimp first and if they last go w a fire

bang guy

Test their water yourself. Them telling you the Salinity is 1.023 is fairly meaningless since that's not a salinity reading. If the difference in salinity between your tank and their tanks is significant then a shrimp will need a lot longer to acclimate.

pegasus

Test their water yourself. Them telling you the Salinity is 1.023 is fairly meaningless since that's not a salinity reading. If the difference in salinity between your tank and their tanks is significant then a shrimp will need a lot longer to acclimate.
While it's a good idea to test the LFS water's salinity and compare it to your tank water, but I never have. I treat ALL water from a different source as being extremely different than mine. I slow-drip acclimate all new shrimp for a minimum of 2 hours, and I've never lost one in the process. Doing it this way, I don't have to worry about parameters such as salinity, temp, and pH not matching. Just saying...