Need HeLp!!

BanditMan15

green leather looking terrible just transferred him into my tank last night he perched up good when in and then now looks like this:image.jpg

BanditMan15

Bang I put him in a little more water flow to see if it helps.... And checking all water tests now will let you know how it goes

BanditMan15

Ok thanks guys I was just a little worried ... Checked waters:
Ph: 8.4
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:4-4.75
Gravity: 1.025
Temp:76
Alk: 12 dkh
Phosphate: 0.4
Calcium: 320
Mag: 1500 high
Ammonia: 0

bang guy

Alkalinity look slightly high and Calcium is low. Temp is low for my preference but you would know your animals better than me.

Are you adding something to raise the PH?

pegasus

Bang I am just dosing with Mag CA and Iodide well and ALK
Are you testing Iodide levels, or just adding it because you think you need to? Iodine can reach toxic levels very quickly, so make sure you test for ALL the supplements you add to your tank... ;)

BanditMan15

No actually I was just adding bc I thought I was suppose to for corals... I will buy an iodide kit tomorrow ... Are you saying iodine or iodide is harmful if given to much...

pegasus

No actually I was just adding bc I thought I was suppose to for corals... I will buy an iodide kit tomorrow ... Are you saying iodine or iodide is harmful if given to much...
That's exactly what I'm saying. My tank is starting to run out of room to put new corals, and I have never dosed iodide. I don't dose trace elements, either. I only dose Alkalinity, Calcium, and when needed, Magnesium. All other elements get replaced when I do a water change. Yes, corals need Iodide, Strontium, Manganese, Iron, etc., but most decent salt mixes provide trace elements in proper proportions. Adding supplements without testing is a recipe for disaster, and it's better to have too little of these elements, than to have too much. Low levels of certain elements can slow coral growth, but overdosing certain elements can be deadly. You should never add anything to your tank unless you know for sure that your tank needs it.

BanditMan15

Wow very big rookie mistake I guess thanks for letting me know that!! First time I have ever done corals and I still haven't got that red algae under control I'm getting frustrated with the algae ... I'm glad I got you guys helpin me out