Palani/Dussemeiri Tang?

shawnts106

AHHH I saw this fish called a Eyestripe Tang or Acanthurus Dussemeiri.. now I am DIEING for one of these and my LFS can get one... however on this site under Palani Tang there is one... now this picture of a supposed Palani is a picture of a Dussemeiri... but im confused... is a palani a dussemeiri or what is going on with this site??? or are these tangs the same or what exactly is going on... if any of you have pictures of a Palani or Eyestripe pictures would be much appreciated!
thanks for the help with my confusion!
heres a pic on a site with a Dussemeiri tang
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fi...h/adussum2.htm

cincyreefer

They are the same fish. Although it seems the juveniles are labeled as palani tangs and the adults are labeled as dussimers tangs.

shawnts106

Are you positive... on this site the last latin name for a Palani Tang is like g(blah blah blah) lol... while the Dussemeiri is well... Dussemeiri...
They look simular so nevermind! I supose they are.. but why is the latin name different?

shawnts106

Well after just doing some serious research.. your wrong.. and I was too! a Palani tang is yes, as a juvie it looks like a Dussemeiri tang, however once grown up its BLACK as night... completly different species
palani = Acanthurus Grammoptilus
Dussemeiri Tang = Acanthurus Dussemeiri
they are both Beautiful tangs.. however different in many ways!!!
Would any of you recommend a Dussemeiri? and how many of you have had experience with it before?

cincyreefer

Sorry I have never heard of Acanthurus grammoptilus called a palani tang before. Their common name is the finelined tang, but I have rarely seen those in the aquarium trade. I guess anyone can call any fish any common name they want, but typically a palani tang is the common name for Acanthurus dussemeiri.

shawnts106

well on this site they call the Palani tang A. Grammoptilus
check it out yourself... and this species is different than that of the dussemeiri tang by alot!!! so Im confussed... either way they are both very beautiful fish... but I just want to know if a Dussemeiri is a good fish to have... they arent common but just because they arent common doesnt meen they are bad! the Black Longnose tang is NOT common but its awsome!
does anyone have a picture of a black or palani/ dussemeiri? has anyone ever ordered any of these fish from this site?

tnn1567

I have been trying to figure out what the differences between a Palani tang and a Dussumieri tang. This is the only place that come closest to explaining the differences.
I just order 3 dussumieri tang and 5 palani tang. Maybe I will be able to shed some light on the differences in the future.

So here in lies the confusion.... the description below states that a Pulani Tang is often MISTAKEN for a Dussumier BUT according to iucredlist.org, the Dussumier is also know as the Pulani Tang!! Confused? Me too.

Nevertheless, this is what I've found so far in regards to this;

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/summary/178006/0
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/177981/0
http://www.***************.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=821&cid=287

Pulani Surgeonfish
Scientific Name
Acanthurus spp.
Reef CompatibleYes
Care LevelIntermediate
DispositionPeaceful
Min. Tank Size150 gallons
Mature Size21 inches
DietHerbivore
RangeIndo-Pacific, Hawaii, Eastern Australia, South Pacific
Size Class
view chart
Other Common Names
Eyestripe Surgeonfish, "Dussumier Tang", White-Spined Surgeonfish, Inshore Surgeonfish
Description
The Palani Tang is often cunfused with a Dussumier Tang, but the differences between the two are the coloration and origin. The Palani Tang comes from Hawaii and its coloration is not as bright. The Palani Tang grows to be one of the largest of the Acanthurus family. Because of it’s size and level of activity, it will require a large aquarium and very well oxygenated water. Both the juvenile and adults display beautiful coloration. Often purchased to assist in algae control, Dussumier Tangs will spend their day picking at rockwork and occasionally sand in search for hair algae to eat.
Diet
In the wild, Tangs spend their entire day swimming around on the reef in search of marine algae and meaty bits of food they can find. If underfed, it is often noted that tangs will likely pick at large polyp stony corals. It is recommended to feed dried marine algae (Nori), Spirulina Flakes, and frozen mysis shrimp. Tangs quite easily adjust to captive diets and will eventually eat flake and pellet foods as well. It is recommended to soak flake food in some type of vitamin supplement like Selcon or a garlic supplement in order to help the fish fight off any possible parasite infestation and offer balanced nutrition.

Acanthurus dussumieri
aka; Eyestripe Surgeonfish, Pencilled Surgeonfish, Hawaiian Surgeonfish, Ornate Surgeonfish, Palani, Penciled Surgeonfish, Pencilled Surgeon, Dussumier's Surgeonfish

Acanthurus grammoptilus
aka; Finelined Surgeonfish, Ring-tailed Surgeonfish

Last edited:

lmforbis

Either way a beautiful fish. But it gets huge the 150 gallon recommendation seems very undersized.