Yellow tang w/ brown color?!

Jaychill4023

Hello - I'm a new-comer to the hobby. I have a 55g tank that has been set up for about 6 months. Fish in tank are:
2 tomato clowns
1 damsel
3 turbo snails
1 fire shrimp

I added the yellow tang about 2 weeks ago and I've noticed some brown coloring (not really spots) on my YT. Could anyone tell me if they know anything about this...what is it? Should it be something to worry about? If so, how do I get rid of it?

Thanks for your help!!

bang guy

They can get some brown splotches or lighter colored splotches when they are sleeping or stressed.

If you're seeing it first thing in the morning it's perfectly normal. If you're seeing it in the afternoon then something is stressing the fish.

pegasus

My YT turns almost completely brown at night, is a pale white when the lights come on, and shortly after turns bright yellow for the rest of the day. Tangs require a good bit of algae in their diet. What are you feeding it?

jay0705

Its normal, like fox faces there color fades at night or under stress. Pegasus is correct tho, lots of algae. I use algae sheets and live macro for my tangs.

Jaychill4023

My YT turns almost completely brown at night, is a pale white when the lights come on, and shortly after turns bright yellow for the rest of the day. Tangs require a good bit of algae in their diet. What are you feeding it?
I have been feeding it mostly a couple different varieties of frozen food...1 is a mix of spirulina, brine, and mysis...the other is a mix of clam, krill, mussel, scallops, squid, crab, lobster, plankton, marine algae, kelp, sea weed. I also have sheets of green seaweed that I have only fed it a couple times.

Sounds like I should increase the feeding of the green seaweed? How often would you put in a sheet?

Thank for all your comments!

lmforbis

I use I sheet a day for 3 small (2") tangs. It takes about an hour for the tangs to eat it all.i alternate between green and red seaweed sheets.

lmforbis

Mine definitely go for the redish algae with more gusto than the green, especially my naso. My naso doesn't go for other food as well as my other two but he's plenty fat so he must be getting what he needs.

jay0705

Yea, idk what it is all my tangs prefer the purple. They will eat green, but it. Takes longer for them to polish it off