Smaller place, bigger tank...My 200DD build

eric b 125

Snapped a few quick pics with my phone. I have to take pictures under only whites or the image gets washed-out real bad.

Again, they're not very good, but you get an idea of the size and color of the new colonies. Maybe now that I don't have to play "keep-up" so much with the tank I can work on getting better images uploaded.

pegasus

Without a high-end DSLR, it's hard to capture corals as they appear to the naked eye. I see it in all my pics, so I don't judge other people's corals from pictures. I'm sure they look quite lovely in person. You've got quite a collection of frags, and now comes the hard part... waiting for them to "grow out". That's always the hardest part, because the tank always has so much free space in the early stages. It's always tempting to "fill in the gaps", so to speak. Gotta be careful and think about the future, or the tank could end up being over-filled! :eek:

PS: What is the large colony?

eric b 125

My next semester starts in a few weeks and I'm still waiting to find the right Burgman to buy. I think I'm going to use this 'down time' with the tank to casually do some maintenance on the equipment. I'm sure that pumps need cleaned. I have tomorrow off and I might use some of that time to get some stuff done with the equipment. I also still need to get the CO2 tubing for the Ca Rx. I probably have enough coral in the tank to start testing for calcium depletion.

I've come up with a final fish list for the tank...
1 Purple Tang
1 PBT
1 Mandarin
1 Flame angel
1 Midas blenny
1 Helfrichi firefish
2 Midnight Clownfish

eric b 125

I pulled out the return pump because it was noticeably louder than usual. It was pretty clean, it was just pushed against the side of the sump and was vibrating.

I also realized that I've been telling myself that I need to pick up CO2 tubing, but it's been connected to the regulator the whole time <face palm>.

I've been researching Biocube 29 upgrades for lighting and filtration. When it comes time to move from this apt (lease is signed through next August and I may or may not renew) I doubt I'm going to want to move the DT. It wouldn't hurt to have the BC reef-ready for when that time comes. I might get some base rock over the winter and putty together a real nice aquascape for it once I'm done QT'ing fish. If I end up keeping the DT, I might keep the BC as an anemone/clownfish tank.

As pleased as I am with the DT right now, I wouldn't totally mind a downsize.

eric b 125

It is so strange to not have to fiddle with the tank every day. I'm still getting used to looking at it without seeing a ton of stuff that needs to be done, LOL.

pegasus

It's an awesome feeling when it gets to that point! Makes you wonder why it couldn't have been that easy all along... lol!

eric b 125

My 125 was always like that. I changed a lot with the system, but I never had anything happen like what went down with this tank. I've proven to myself, time and time again, that this hobby is something I'm interested in. This tank nearly broke my spirits, though. LOL.

snakeblitz33

Ah, so you like that RO unit stuff, eh?

I'm happy that you are finally on a road to happiness with this tank.. I hate to hear that you might be planning on moving next August.... that just sucks. I never enjoyed moving, but I am finally in a pretty permanent location, and I have really enjoyed the thought of not having to move.

Do you have a float valve on a water reservoir and your ATO rigged up? That's one thing that I miss about my current system is the old ATO.

eric b 125

I really like the RODI unit. It's super quick and easy to hook up, it makes water relatively quickly, and with the float valve I can make water while I'm going-on about my day. The kati/ani was awesome, it just no longer fit my needs. I really believe that a lot of the issues in my tank were secondary to stuff leaching out of my old buckets.

I don't have an ATO on the RODI but I do have a float valve auto shut off.

eric b 125

In two weeks I can start raising the salinity of the QT. I did a 50% w/c on it this morning and the PBT is looking much better since the heater issue:

eric b 125

Thanks! I can't believe this fish has survived everything it has. The poor thing has been in QT for three months now :eek:. It will feel so good to release him into the DT in a few weeks. The rest of the fish I plan on ordering are all small(ish) fish so that if/when I decide to downsize I won't have to QT any more fish.

eric b 125

Started raising the SG in the QT yesterday. Flame angel and midas blenny next. I'm thinking I might try TTM using 7 five-gallon buckets (one for each day) before putting them into QT for observation.

eric b 125

I've decided that it's probably a smart idea for me to sell this tank. I don't really see a point in keeping it if I'm going to sell it when I move anyways. A large tank like this isn't really meant to be moved from place to place until finding a more permanent home. It will never be the reef I imagined it would be if I have to move it. Plus, the time involved is not something I have to spare right now. I'm going to start breaking it down and ordering stuff for the BC29. I'm practically giving it away, but it's not like I can't buy another large tank when I have the time and willingness to deal with the associated responsibilities.

eric b 125

It's just too much trouble. It's not the last 200DD in the world. If I feel like I need to have a big tank again then I'll get another one, but for now I'm confident with my decision to downsize and sell.