Anchor Babies

2quills

You can't have it both ways. They cannot be exempt from our jurisdiction, but subject to our laws since our laws are the jurisdiction.
Ironic since one does not have to abide by our laws and yet can receive our benefits anyway. At least someone out there gets to have it both ways.

geridoc

Ironic since one does not have to abide by our laws and yet can receive our benefits anyway. At least someone out there gets to have it both ways.
True - criminals, whether illegally here or not, who do not abide by our laws may receive the "benefits" of free room and board if caught not abiding.

2quills

We have enough of our own as it is. 1.87 billion last year out of tax payers pockets. in order to house incarcerated illegals. Not to mention the the alternative costs.

Juan Fransisco Lopez-Sanchez, has received the benefit of 3 squares and a roof over his head multiple times at the tax payers expense. This last stint only cost Kate Steinle, her life.

darthtang aw

Of which only 8% of that figure is federal. The rest is all state costs. Since each state has its own illegal immigrant incarceration policy that money is on the states. For instance california changed some laws lowering sentences for certain crimes to 364 days from 365. This prevents the illegal from being deported by the fed.

Many of our illegal immigration problems are at the state level more so than the federal.

2quills

Of which only 8% of that figure is federal. The rest is all state costs. Since each state has its own illegal immigrant incarceration policy that money is on the states. For instance california changed some laws lowering sentences for certain crimes to 364 days from 365. This prevents the illegal from being deported by the fed.

Many of our illegal immigration problems are at the state level more so than the federal.
Precisely right (kinda). It's an issue that effects everyone at the federal level yet states like mine are left to suffer the consequences of failed federal policy and enforcement. That's great if you live somewhere like Main, but here in Texas it costs tax payers a lot of money. We have several hundreds of murders committed by illegals each year here. And a Federal government who could care less. Or in fact encourage it by not enforcing the laws already on the books.

I don't see how California changing their laws supersedes federal law. I thought federal law states that once a convicted person is done serving their sentence they are to be deported? That task is typically handled by us customs and boarder patrol which is a federal agency.

darthtang aw

Under federal immigration deportation laws a felony is defined as any crime punished with 365 days in jail. By lowering the sentences by one day many convicted of state "misdemeanors" are outside of the mandatory federal deportation laws and essentially released back into the populace instead of handed over to the Feds after time served.

This affects legal non residents. Such as those on work visas and such. Crimes such as theft, fraud, and burglary are no longer deportable offenses for visa holders.

Last edited:

2quills

Those for the most part are petty crimes that only effects those who are here legally. I was talking about illegals.

If California wishes to keep the drug addicts, prostitutes and thieves around that's on them. It comes as no suprise the condition of that state with decision making like that.

darthtang aw

Those for the most part are petty crimes that only effects those who are here legally. I was talking about illegals.

If California wishes to keep the drug addicts, prostitutes and thieves around that's on them. It comes as no suprise the condition of that state with decision making like that.
The minute those laws are broken they illegals. It just doesn't affect california. They do move out of state and gain jobs in other states. By maintaining their legal status in this fashion it prevent a law abiding visa applicant from entering the country.

Burglary and theft ARE NOT petty crimes. these crimes have a persistent psychological effect on the victims.

2quills

The minute those laws are broken they illegals. It just doesn't affect california. They do move out of state and gain jobs in other states. By maintaining their legal status in this fashion it prevent a law abiding visa applicant from entering the country.

Burglary and theft ARE NOT petty crimes. these crimes have a persistent psychological effect on the victims.
I hadn't mentioned burglary. Not all theft is a felony offense. You said it yourself if they committed a felony then they are required to be deported.

Otherwise I think you pretty much agree with me. In regards to illegal immigration it isn't just a state problem or issue. It effects everyone.