Water Change Volume Question

KHow

I gave a 36g Bowfront, I keep up with my water changes well. My question is, can a water change be Too Big? I normally do a 15g change once every four to five weeks... I don't seems to have any ill effects, but I am wondering....
It a fowler with small CUC and five small fish.

lmforbis

Personally I don't think you can change too much water as long as you are careful to match salinity and temperature.

KHow

Ok. Thanks. It's cheap enough for this size tank. I make the switch with a power head so it's easy. My foxface gets all upset and sulks and my lemonpeel gets all worked up. But I'm sure it's for the greater good!

flower

Hi,

Lots of times when people do water changes, they also do cleaning of the equipment. Don't over clean filters and such, because you will lose good bacteria. This note is mostly for those who have canister filters or HOB. Live rock helps a great deal to keep things balanced, but good bacteria matches the waste output, and that includes what is in the the filter materials. So when replacing filter media, do half, then the other half a week or so later, toggling between them.

KHow

Thanks Flower! You are spot on, I do clean everything, probably too much! I have an HOB filter that has one slide in fibre filter. So, when I clean, I should just swap that out and not wipe down the insides of the filter? It also has a section the the return flows over that collects/grows scum....leave that as well, until it becomes too clogged for water flow?
Would there be a benifit to partially filling the HOB with activated charcoal?

flower

Thanks Flower! You are spot on, I do clean everything, probably too much! I have an HOB filter that has one slide in fibre filter. So, when I clean, I should just swap that out and not wipe down the insides of the filter? It also has a section the the return flows over that collects/grows scum....leave that as well, until it becomes too clogged for water flow?
Would there be a benifit to partially filling the HOB with activated charcoal?
I would swap half the media, in a canister. That sponge filter in a HOB shouldn't be changed every time you clean it, but rinsed out in saltwater, and swished around to release the big stuff, and then put it back in to reuse it. Use that sponge until it is really worn out, when you notice it getting worn, maybe put a new sponge in the tank, so the next cleaning time...add the new sponge and toss the old. I wouldn't leave anything that's slimy with scum, but do wipe it down with saltwater, not take the whole thing out and wash it in freshwater (that kills the good bacteria).

Basically, I used the old removed saltwater at water changes, to rinse my media sponges, and wipe off things that got slim on it. As long as freshwater is not used, the good bacteria is in tact.

KHow

Great advice! That's all I have found here, great help! Thanks! My "standard replacement" filters are two sided inserts with carbon in the middle. I was using them until they started to get holes in them. I would rinse them in fresh water .....I have switched to poly fill sheets. This leaves me with a little more room in the HOB. Thinking about adding a layer of media like small bio balls and a layer of carbon. Thoughts?

flower

Great advice! That's all I have found here, great help! Thanks! My "standard replacement" filters are two sided inserts with carbon in the middle. I was using them until they started to get holes in them. I would rinse them in fresh water .....I have switched to poly fill sheets. This leaves me with a little more room in the HOB. Thinking about adding a layer of media like small bio balls and a layer of carbon. Thoughts?
Bio balls in a HOB??? You really don't need them. You have live rock, sand and many other surface areas with good bacteria. You are only going to have as much good bacteria as you have waste, no matter what, or how much surface area you have...so why make something else to have to clean up after....

I bought those knee high stockings (10 pack) and would use those to put carbon in. LOL...I then also had leggings when I needed them. But anyway, I would fill it a little with carbon, tie it off and cut it. A pack would go a long way for use, since I had at least 3 uses out of each one. It made it really easy to remove and replace the carbon.

beaslbob

sorry I can't help you. I balanced out my old 55g with macro algae and dosed diy two part system for calcium, mag, and alk.

But I did no water changes in 9 years.

my .02

flower

sorry I can't help you. I balanced out my old 55g with macro algae and dosed diy two part system for calcium, mag, and alk.

But I did no water changes in 9 years.

my .02
I had tons of macros, and my seahorses died one by one, it took a few years. I COULDN'T do proper water changes, I also dosed Cal and Alk, magnesium always was where it was supposed to be...I did small changes, so not completely none as you have. I don't recommend it. The tank looked bad, just dull and ugly...even the little water changes would spark it up. I'm glad it works for you, but it isn't a good bit of advice...especially for those just starting out. I think well established tanks (1 -5 yrs up and running) can be abused a bit, and fudge on things ... new tanks, not so much.

You know I'm a fan of yours, and I LOVE macroalgae! So please don't take what I said as an insult.

beaslbob

I had tons of macros, and my seahorses died one by one, it took a few years. I COULDN'T do proper water changes, I also dosed Cal and Alk, magnesium always was where it was supposed to be...I did small changes, so not completely none as you have. I don't recommend it. The tank looked bad, just dull and ugly...even the little water changes would spark it up. I'm glad it works for you, but it isn't a good bit of advice...especially for those just starting out. I think well established tanks (1 -5 yrs up and running) can be abused a bit, and fudge on things ... new tanks, not so much.

You know I'm a fan of yours, and I LOVE macroalgae! So please don't take what I said as an insult.
if either don't take anything said on these forums as an insult or just ignore them anyway.

And I'm a fan of yours as well.

my point is for newbies to look at things other than water changes to help setup a more balanced and stable system as opposed to the water change fixes everything mentality.

still just my .02

flower

if either don't take anything said on these forums as an insult or just ignore them anyway.

And I'm a fan of yours as well.

my point is for newbies to look at things other than water changes to help setup a more balanced and stable system as opposed to the water change fixes everything mentality.

still just my .02
I see your point. Ideally, a well set up system is a self contained ecosystem...

flower

In my opinion our small tanks are about as much of a closed system as the typical house.
There was a time...about 30 some years ago. The goal was to set up an aquarium, so that it took care of itself. A system that didn't need the tank broke down for cleaning, food or any involvement from humans. I never reached such a goal, nor ever heard of anyone who did, but that was the ultimate goal.

I was into freshwater tanks then, keeping a saltwater tank was way beyond me . Back then saltwater was a hobby only for the rich, they had to replace all those fancy fish all the time. They didn't know about live rock, or power heads. The hobby has come a long way, I remember those metal halides that cost an arm and leg. I couldn't get one until the price dropped down to the $1000.00 mark. By then a few years later, they came up with LED lighting

I did know an old fellow who had a 26 year old 200+g Saltwater reef tank, he never did water changes, didn't use macros, and he only fed the fish if he needed to, the fish ate the eggs, bugs, algae and such, so they had all the food they needed...only if no eggs were laid, did he supplement the food. His was the closest one to that ideal. His corals were huge and happy, he ran his skimmer only when it looked a certain way...he said he could tell when it was time. He told me most people over skim their tanks, and rob their corals of the much needed food. I was in awe of that guy. I moved out of state, and haven't seen him for some years...I wonder how that tank is doing, or if he is even still alive.

bang guy

35 years ago I was using live rock, macro algae to remove nutrients, VHO lighting, a home made skimmer. Did not have a deep sand bed. My substrate back then was basically reef rubble resembling crumbled up live rock.

The guy you describe sounds like someone I would listen to and love to learn from. It's frustrating to see a failed hobbyist like Beaslbob giving advice to the unaware and uninformed. I know for a fact that he did do water changes every time his reef tank crashed. And yet he continues to insist that he has never done a water change. His corals look miserable, he spun through so many fish I doubt even he could tell you how many have died at his hands.

Last edited:

flower

35 years ago I was using live rock, macro algae to remove nutrients, VHO lighting, a home made skimmer. Did not have a deep sand bed. My substrate back then was basically reef rubble resembling crumbled up live rock.

The guy you describe sounds like someone I would listen to and love to learn from. It's frustrating to see a failed hobbyist like Beaslbob giving advice to the unaware and uninformed. I know for a fact that he did do water changes every time his reef tank crashed. And yet he continues to insist that he has never done a water change. His corals look miserable, he spun through so many fish I doubt even he could tell you how many have died at his hands.
I didn't get into keeping saltwater until I was 40, until then I was just listening to people who had them. Most didn't continue, and said it was too expensive. I never heard of power heads creating a current to mimic the waves in all that time, or live rock for surface area, although I knew everything is covered with good bacteria, no matter what is in the tank...it's the little sea bugs I never heard of or a CUC. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, when you look in a SW tank it all looks so calm.

Beaslbob taught me about macros, for that I owe him a great thank you, I don't know what his tank looks like, or what it's been through (so I can't comment one way or the other). Macroalgae, if harvested correctly, will indeed keep the water parameters pristine. Keeping macros had my nitrates and phosphate at a perfect 0, water changes or not. I wouldn't put macros in a reef display, but in a refugium, it's worth it's weight in gold. For fish only systems...go for it.