Low dKH

Luvthekeys

I just ordered a Hanna Checker for Alkalinity on Amazon. However even with two day shipping I will not get it until September 1st due to Holiday. Thanks back Pegasus. I read that a lot of people like the Salifert tests but wanted to try the Hanna one. I have a Salifert test for Magnesium.

Imforbis if you have the Salifert test for Magnesium one thing confuses me about that test. When you are drawing the number 3 reagent into the syringe it calls for you to match the lower end of the black plunger to the 1mm mark, Then when the test fluid turns blue it tell you to hold the syringe with the tip pointing upwards and match the upper end of the black plunger to the graduations on the syringe. My question is taking into consideration of which way the syringe is pointed doesn't both those instructions refer to the same end of the plunger. Or am I thinking too much about what they mean in the instructions.

I ordered a battery operated air pump too. Chance of Hurricane got me thinking of aeration for the tank. If I like the Hanna Checker I might have to get a few more.

Anybody have any experience with emerald crabs. Put a small one in the tank last night never saw him again. However my two sea urchin hitchhikers seem to be enjoying their stay. They are getting so big they cant hide anymore.

Damn peppermint shrimp try to eat anything I put in tank. They usually fail unless it is dead.

Put in a bunch of Nassarius snails and have to laugh when they pop out of the sand whenever I feed. I lost my sense of smell to radiation therapy so I have to admire theirs. The minute the food hits the water they are emerging from the sand.

bang guy

It's my understanding that sodium bicarbonate can be used at a higher rate than sodium carbonate, and IIRC it causes a temporary lowering of pH, unlike carbonate which causes a temporary increase in pH. If the pH of the tank is good, a combination of the two (carbonate & bicarbonate) seems like a better option as it would maintain a steady pH. Then again, I question API test kits, so there's no telling what the pH level of the tank is...
I agree that using a mix of Sodium bicarbonate and Sodium carbonate is ideal. something close to a 5:1 ratio.

But, it's not totally necessary as long as you don't try to raise ALK a lot all at once.

There will be a natural carbonate/bicarbonate ratio that your tank will maintain. So when you add only bicarbonate some of it will automatically convert to carbonate to maintain the tanks natural ratio. The PH temporarily drops because Carbon dioxide is released as the Bicarbonate converts to Carbonate. It gasses off fairly quickly and PH climbs back up.

Luvthekeys

Damn I knew I should have taken Chemistry in High School instead of Home Economics. But that was where all the girls were. Thinking with the little head instead of the big one! Well at least I can make a mean cupcake.

lmforbis

I just ordered a Hanna Checker for Alkalinity on Amazon. However even with two day shipping I will not get it until September 1st due to Holiday. Thanks back Pegasus. I read that a lot of people like the Salifert tests but wanted to try the Hanna one. I have a Salifert test for Magnesium.

Imforbis if you have the Salifert test for Magnesium one thing confuses me about that test. When you are drawing the number 3 reagent into the syringe it calls for you to match the lower end of the black plunger to the 1mm mark, Then when the test fluid turns blue it tell you to hold the syringe with the tip pointing upwards and match the upper end of the black plunger to the graduations on the syringe. My question is taking into consideration of which way the syringe is pointed doesn't both those instructions refer to the same end of the plunger. Or am I thinking too much about what they mean in the instructions.

I ordered a battery operated air pump too. Chance of Hurricane got me thinking of aeration for the tank. If I like the Hanna Checker I might have to get a few more.

Anybody have any experience with emerald crabs. Put a small one in the tank last night never saw him again. However my two sea urchin hitchhikers seem to be enjoying their stay. They are getting so big they cant hide anymore.

Damn peppermint shrimp try to eat anything I put in tank. They usually fail unless it is dead.

Put in a bunch of Nassarius snails and have to laugh when they pop out of the sand whenever I feed. I lost my sense of smell to radiation therapy so I have to admire theirs. The minute the food hits the water they are emerging from the sand.
I do use the salifert Mag and Cal tests. You are right, Read the graduation from the same end of the plunger, top when pointing up and bottom when pointing down. It is a bit confusing. I work in biotech and use syringes often, to me the bottom of the plunger is always the same no matter which way it is oriented, but that is just the way I think about it. I didn't really read the instructions that carefully when I bought the test.

Battery air pump is a good idea. I have one but haven't bought batteries so it isn't much good.

Luvthekeys

Thanks Imforbis, I was doing it right.

For whatever reason my dKH was up to 8 today and I do not remember dosing it yesterday. This has become "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma" I used my baking skills to bake some baking soda however for the moment I do not need it.

On a side note I would love to know what happened to my nine dollar Emerald Crab I placed in the tank yesterday. However I can take solace in the few good hitchhikers that came in my live rock. I think two sea urchins are just as good as the Emerald Crab. I hope he is just playing hide and seek.

bang guy

Often crustaceans become stressed after being moved. The natural response to stress is to molt. They usually hide for a few days during and after a molt.

Luvthekeys

As usual great info Bang Guy, thanks. I just bought electronic PH and Alkalinity testers. I suspect you read the unexplained rise in my dKH when tested today. Got me stumped but I think I am ready with Baking Soda and Baked Baking Soda when I need it. By the way those two sea urchins that came in with my Tampa Bay Live Rock are growing like crazy.

bang guy

As usual great info Bang Guy, thanks. I just bought electronic PH and Alkalinity testers. I suspect you read the unexplained rise in my dKH when tested today. Got me stumped but I think I am ready with Baking Soda and Baked Baking Soda when I need it. By the way those two sea urchins that came in with my Tampa Bay Live Rock are growing like crazy.
They sound like Echinometra lacunter. Be careful with your hands around them. They can give you a bad infection if you get stabbed.

Luvthekeys

Bang Guy thanks very much for that info. I am taking a drug "Keytruda" the same stuff they are giving Ex-President Jimmy Carter. It affects your immune system while fighting Melanoma Cancer. The last thing I need is a bad infection.

pegasus

I like the Hanna Checkers I have, but be aware that the pH meter is different than the others. The others use reagents like most other chemical tests. I just find the process a lot easier, and there's little-to-no waiting period... other than waiting for the meter to finish scanning.

As Imforbis said, the end of the plunger is always the same, no matter which way the syringe is oriented. I use the edge of flared part of the plunger closest to the fluid as my guide.

Good idea on the air pump. If you don't have a generator, an air pump and air stone can make the difference between life or death of you critters.

I've had several emerald crabs, but only have one at the moment. As BG said, they tend to hide after being shipped and introduced into a new environment. If you find what appears to be a dead crab, don't despair... it's probably just it's molt. They stay hidden a few days until the new shell hardens.

The peps will get better at catching food, so don't count them out just yet... lol!

Nassarius snails have noses like bloodhounds. However, mine must be eating good after lights out, because that's when I see them the most. Occasionally one or two will pop up during feeding, but the majority prefer to feed nocturnally. Sorry about your loss of smell. I hope it didn't ruin your sense of taste...

Last edited:

Luvthekeys

I did not buy the Hanna PH tester due to reviews. I bought the Dr.Meter® 0.1pH PH002 High Accuracy pH Meter/pH Pen Tester with ATC(Automatic Temperature Compensation) LCD 0-14 pH Measurement Range. It had better reviews so I thought I would try it.

As for my sense of smell to tell you the truth it took awhile to notice since I thought I was smelling things like normal. My brain was making me think I could smell things I knew the smell of. If that makes sense. It took a trip past a sewage treatment plant that finally let me know it was gone. As far as I can tell and it has been a couple of years I still can taste my food. I am Italian so loss of my tastebuds would have been a catastrophe. Thanks for the concern. Anything can be worse I keep telling myself.

pegasus

That'll work. I haven't made the commitment to purchase a pH meter, and like all my other purchases, there will be a period of "investigation"... lol!

I'm glad it didn't affect your sense of taste. Simple things like a stuffy nose can make food taste bland, so I'm glad it didn't kill your taste buds! I don't think I would enjoy eating if I couldn't taste food. It would be a catastrophe for me, too... I love to eat... especially Italian food... lol! And you are absolutely correct... it can always be worse. There are a lot of people who don't have the luxury of owning a saltwater tank, the ability to write simple posts on a forum, or even feed themselves. I'm anxious to see your issue resolved, so you can get back to enjoying the tank. They are wonderful therapy...

Luvthekeys

Pegasus you know we all bleed a modified form of saltwater actually, its called blood. I think it stems back to the first thing that crawled out of the sea and started all this. I believe his name was Bob but don't hold me to that.

Lucky me, tomorrow I have to look for a battery operated air pump. Ordered one from Amazon and even though I am a prime member and have two day delivery I will not get it until tuesday. The storm will not wait for the USPS or UPS to deliver my order so off I go to the local bait shop. the only solace i have is my electric is underground , that is until you get to the cross street then its cement electric poles.

pegasus

It was either Bob... or Blob. I can't be certain... lol!

I'm really hoping Haiti and Cuba will weaken Erika, and it doesn't gain enough strength to turn into a hurricane. My wife moved from Miami 5 years ago, where she was born and raised, and also raised two kids to adulthood. She was there when Andrew hit, and it wasn't pretty. I was in Corpus Christi, TX when Celia came through, and Katrina was still a Cat 1 when the eye came through just 15 miles west of my home... 180 miles due north of Waveland, MS. I spent a few days in Waveland a couple of months before Katrina, and the entire neighborhood was completely wiped out. Nothing left but cement slabs and a few mangled trees. Hurricanes are no fun. Praying for you guys down there.

pegasus

Haven't thought to ask, but do you live in the Keys? I never made it to Key West... "the drinking town with a fishing problem". I have been to Key Largo, though. Can't remember the place my wife and I stopped for coffee, but Marina Del Mar keeps coming to mind. That's the only place I know of in south Key Largo where the Marina comes right up to the Overseas Highway (just south of Bay/Ocean Drive).

Luvthekeys

I think I know the place you were mentioning. You know Key West is hours away from Key Largo on a two lane road in many places. It can be a haul especially with all the tourists.

I live on the west coast of Florida near the gulf (about a mile away if that), great fishing and more golf courses then you can shake a stick at. Just the other day one of my friends was complaining that he was ordering crabs for his CUC, while he could go out on the flats and pick up as many as he wanted for free. However he was not willing to take the chance of what else they would bring.

I go to the Keys a few times a year. Have friends there who put me up and take me fishing. I was going to move there but spending the rest of my life fishing, drinking and eating while sounding great has its drawbacks. I like to golf and there are only a couple of golf courses in the keys and they are hours away in most cases. I don't think many people know how long the keys are and the distance between things. It was just as well since I could not get the medical care I can get near where I live now. My daughter and granddaughter lives in Key West. It can be a very interesting place to say the least.

Pegasus If you ever go there, go at the end of October for what they call Fantasy Festival. I have been there for this little get together and lets just say it provides a lot of entertainment. If you go on line and type in Fantasy Festival you will get the idea.

I went to the local bait store today and bought a battery operated air pump so I was sure to have one in case the storm cut my power. No surprise it was twice the price as the one I ordered from Amazon. However that one will not arrive until after the storm passes.

I am about to check my tank water again hopefully the dKH has not dropped noticeably and the cause for the previous drop might have been me stirring up the sand while fixing my aquascaping.

What would I do without your guys and girls help.

I will let you know what I think of the PH tester. It is to arrive tomorrow. I am still getting used to the USPS delivering stuff on Sunday.

Luvthekeys

As was suggested I mixed up some saltwater for a water change yesterday using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I let it aerate for almost 24 hours. I then tested the results which follow

Temp 80.5
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.0
dKH 8
Calcium 450
Magnesium 1430

To me it appears the salt mix is not the problem. I would be happy with those numbers all the time.

So the mystery continues.

I will change out the purigen and chemipure elite when I do the water change today. Then monitor for the next week.

pegasus

I know it's a long, long drive to KW from KL, and that's why I never made the trip. The trips I made to Miami (actually West Kendall) were to relax... not drive for several hours. That said, we did drive down to Flamingo, while making several stops along the way.

It looks like Erika isn't going to gain hurricane strength after all. You're welcome... lol!

The levels look right for Reef Crystals. A couple of water changes and staying on top of your dosing should get things smoothed out. When elements get off kilter, it can take awhile to get things synchronized. It can be a juggling act to get them balanced. Patience and diligence will prevail... ;)

Luvthekeys

Mailman just dropped off two electronic checkers.

The "Dr.Meter PH Tester" and the "Hanna Alkalinity Tester"

I first used the Dr. Meter PH Tester and it gave me a reading of 7.8. Test was done late morning before the lights on the tank came on. I then used my API High Range PH test and the color appeared to be closer to 7.8 then 8.0. It appears they are close. I hate trying to decipher the test vial color against the color chart so it appears Dr. Meter is a keeper.

I then used the Hanna Alkalinity Tester. Was unsure of the directions so watched two videos before doing my measurements. It gave me a result of 126 ppm which converted to 7 dkh I believe. I used a chart on the internet for the conversion. I then used my API dKH test kit and it seemed to be between 7 and 8. It did turn yellowish with a hint of blue at 7. I had to add one more drop to make it turn completely yellow. That is why I believe it was between 7 and 8 dKH.

I will slowly try to raise my Alkalinity to between 8 and 9 using a combination of baking soda and baked baking soda.

Pegasus I will do that week of testing starting tomorrow and see where we end up just before my next water change.

Well this thread cost me more money but at least now I do not have to try to read those color charts for two tests.

pegasus

Mailman just dropped off two electronic checkers.

The "Dr.Meter PH Tester" and the "Hanna Alkalinity Tester"

I first used the Dr. Meter PH Tester and it gave me a reading of 7.8. Test was done late morning before the lights on the tank came on. I then used my API High Range PH test and the color appeared to be closer to 7.8 then 8.0. It appears they are close. I hate trying to decipher the test vial color against the color chart so it appears Dr. Meter is a keeper.

I then used the Hanna Alkalinity Tester. Was unsure of the directions so watched two videos before doing my measurements. It gave me a result of 126 ppm which converted to 7 dkh I believe. I used a chart on the internet for the conversion. I then used my API dKH test kit and it seemed to be between 7 and 8. It did turn yellowish with a hint of blue at 7. I had to add one more drop to make it turn completely yellow. That is why I believe it was between 7 and 8 dKH.

I will slowly try to raise my Alkalinity to between 8 and 9 using a combination of baking soda and baked baking soda.

Pegasus I will do that week of testing starting tomorrow and see where we end up just before my next water change.

Well this thread cost me more money but at least now I do not have to try to read those color charts for two tests.
My biggest gripe with using color charts is that I'm never certain if I'm seeing the right color. If I hold the vial one way, and it looks dark. If I hold it another way and it looks light. Am I using enough light? Am I using too much light? There's no guesswork when it comes to reading numbers... lol. I always convert the alkalinity ppm reading to dKH. It's burned into memory... the number on the screen x .056 = dKH. You are correct... 126 ppm = 7.056 dKH. While it's in the "acceptable" range, it's at the low end of the desired range.

Sorry about costing you more money. I think in the long run, you'll realize it was worth it. Perception can cause a lot of issues when it comes to reading color matching kits, which often results in tank parameters problems. I'm a simple man... I like things to be simple. Work smarter, not harder... and all the crap. LOL!!!