I guess my urchin like my GSP

pegasus

It sure looks like it, doesn't it? LOL! Yeah, urchins like to crawl into a snug place during the day. It's not like they need the protection, but they do it anyway. Go figure...

lmforbis

Is he wearing them or eating them? Mine is currently hauling around a conch shell on his back.

pegasus

Is he wearing them or eating them? Mine is currently hauling around a conch shell on his back.
Mine has never bothered anything in my tank, at least nothing that I'm aware of. It certainly hasn't bothered my GSP...

flower

It is trying to get to the algae growing under, and around it... it isn't snuggling in, but getting food from every nook and cranny. When I had my reef, I didn't like the pincushion urchins, they are bull dozers. Knocking corals over, and wearing what they destroy as they go.... In a fish only system they are great algae eaters, maybe too good. In a reef, the black spine urchins were a much better choice then pincushion...but they get huge fast.

pegasus

It is trying to get to the algae growing under, and around it... it isn't snuggling in, but getting food from every nook and cranny. When I had my reef, I didn't like the pincushion urchins, they are bull dozers. Knocking corals over, and wearing what they destroy as they go.... In a fish only system they are great algae eaters, maybe too good. In a reef, the black spine urchins were a much better choice then pincushion...but they get huge fast.
I think she has a rock boring urchin, which doesn't get too awfully big... maybe a couple of inches including the spines. I've had mine over two years, and only my smallest frags get moved around... and I'm not sure if it's the urchin or the turbo astrea snails. That's why I normally attach my frags to a larger rock... ;)

flower

I think she has a rock boring urchin, which doesn't get too awfully big... maybe a couple of inches including the spines. I've had mine over two years, and only my smallest frags get moved around... and I'm not sure if it's the urchin or the turbo astrea snails. That's why I normally attach my frags to a larger rock... ;)
LOL... The one I was referring to getting big fast, are the black spine urchins. I never heard of a rock boring urchin...that doesn't sound good. At any rate, I know you said your wasn't a problem. The ones I had a beef with, were the pincushion....What Chrisely24 has, I am no urchin expert by any means. If the little critter is getting into the corals and taking them for a ride, it's doing what mine did to me.o_O

pegasus

LOL... The one I was referring to getting big fast, are the black spine urchins. I never heard of a rock boring urchin...that doesn't sound good. At any rate, I know you said your wasn't a problem. The ones I had a beef with, were the pincushion....What Chrisely24 has, I am no urchin expert by any means. If the little critter is getting into the corals and taking them for a ride, it's doing what mine did to me.o_O
I'd often thought about getting a pincushion urchin, and glad I didn't. Rock boring urchins aren't as bad as they sound. I've never noticed any new holes in my rocks... lol! This is a rock boring urchin, technically named Echinometra Mathaei:

Echinometra Mathaei.jpg

Video of mine after dark:

flower

I'd often thought about getting a pincushion urchin, and glad I didn't. Rock boring urchins aren't as bad as they sound. I've never noticed any new holes in my rocks... lol! This is a rock boring urchin, technically named Echinometra Mathaei:

View attachment 1661

Video of mine after dark:

WOW....The beauty of the ocean creatures never cease to amaze me. Thanks for sharing, I always learn new stuff on this site.