I was banned and Everything gone. :'(

kdsealyon

Hi,
I was banned somehow for Spam lol. Now everything is gone.

Pegasus, in response to your question, I have a Percnon Gibbesi. Seems most people do not like them, but I adore her and plan on creating her a world with her in mind.

I feed my crab something meaty once a day, and then she grazes all night long. I let the goby nibble on her leftovers which I clean up daily too. I don't know if I will get many fish.Maybe another Goby. I love shrimp and maybe a sea urchin and a clam. I got hugged by a sea urchin once.

I can't get too big of a tank. Our floor isn't strong enough. I live in Alaska, and this house was not built to code. :) I'll have to work on keeping that 20 gallon stable.Hopefully i will become seasoned quickly ;). I have a phosphate reactor coming for it along with a surface skimmer too. I also have a protein skimmer and an algae scrubber. Is there anything else I need. We have a *****, and they do not keep items in stock, so I have to order everything through Amazon. I think I want to create a sump, but I do not understand the directions at all on those. Can I turn my two round tanks into sumps?
Yes, you are right. There are a million things to learn and it is overwhelming. My brain is quite cloudy now. Thankfully this forum seems friendly, and I can ask questions. I may have to get a skunk cleaner. My goby likes to clean and sneak up on my crab to clean her. Maybe the skunk cleaner and goby can clean one another? lol

Pegasus:

Yep... sounds like you've been bitten! LOL! By the way,what kind of crab do you have?

Some people don't like bristle worms, but I've never had a problem with them. I'm just careful when I'm handling rocks, as the can cause a nasty sting. Never been stung, but I know it's a possibility. Nevertheless, they're an excellent part of the cleanup crew. My thinking is... if you're successful at keeping the 20 under control, and get the basics under your belt, you might want to consider upgrading to a larger tank. I know a big tank can seem intimidating, but to be perfectly honest, it's much easier to keep a larger tank than a smaller tank. We always recommend getting as large a tank as you possibly can, and here's the reason. A larger volume of water takes longer for things to go wrong, giving the hobbyist a bigger window of opportunity to catch and correct any problems. Yes, the tank costs more, the equipment costs more, and the amount of sand and rocks to fill a big tank costs more. The initial cost of setup is the only downside to having a large tank. The advantage to the larger tank is that it comes with a greater degree of stability. Ocean creatures don't tolerate sudden changes very well. Things can change very quickly in a small tank, so they require a lot more attention than a large tank, where change is slow and gradual. A 20 gallon tank is considered a "nano tank" in this hobby, and typically recommended for the seasoned or advanced hobbyist for the reasons mentioned. My first tank was 125 gallons. My second tank was 40 gallons. I use a 29 gallon for a quarantine tank, and I have a 10 gallon that I've never used. That said, there are people on this forum that have found themselves in your position, and they've made it work. I encourage you to research as much as possible without your head exploding... then do some more research. There are a million things to learn about this hobby, but don't try to over do it. Start with the basics, like how to test water parameters (extremely important!), since water conditions are the life of your system. Once the biological filter is established in the tank, your main concern will be keeping nitrate levels under control. Water changes and macro algae fixes that. Learn basic maintenance and water change routines. Don't overfeed your pets!!! Fish always look hungry... don't fall for it. Feeding sparingly, and it'll reduce the amount of nitrate being created... and your fish will still be healthy. Never hesitate to ask questions about things you don't know, and even about things you do know if they don't seem to be working for you. Outside perspectives can be extremely valuable when one's brain gets a little cloudy... lol!

PS: Skunk cleaners are my favorites! Don't feel alone, my coworkers know I'm nuts...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
kdsealyon. I have to apologize. I'm the guilty mod who banned you. I was removing spam this morning a little too fast and you got shut out. I realized it immediately but, unfortunately, I can't do reinstatements. I contacted ajackson immediately, but it looks like you called the store about the problem and got reinstated.

Sorry for your loss of posts.

kdsealyon

kdsealyon. I have to apologize. I'm the guilty mod who banned you. I was removing spam this morning a little too fast and you got shut out. I realized it immediately but, unfortunately, I can't do reinstatements. I contacted ajackson immediately, but it looks like you called the store about the problem and got reinstated.

Sorry for your loss of posts.
You are very kind. No worries. I'm not angry. I can refer to the emails that I received initially. I thought maybe I was spamming by posting too much rofl. So glad that was not the case.

Thanks immensely. This is a great forum.

pegasus

Hi,
I was banned somehow for Spam lol. Now everything is gone.

Pegasus, in response to your question, I have a Percnon Gibbesi.
Sorry about getting banned... I guess you'll choose your posts a little more carefully from now on, right? Sorry... I couldn't resist! Glad you're not too upset about it.

You were a little too technical for me when you named your crab species, so I had to look it up. Sally Lightfoot's a little easier for me to remember... doh!!!

I'm glad you are enjoying SWF......No one gets banned for posting too much around here! LOL
Whew! I was getting a little worried that I might be pushing the boundaries... lol!!!

kdsealyon

No, not upset at all, though I was stunned for a bit. As for my Sally Light Foot, I've been informed that is the incorrect name for the Percnon Gibbesi. I wonder what the correct name is lol? I've named her Little Toot however, and that's exactly what she is . ;) haha!

pegasus

I believe the Sally Lightfoot crabs that are purchased for marine aquariums are Percnon Gibbesi. Most marine vendors label them as such, just as Saltwaterfish.com does. I think they are sometimes confused with Grapsus Grapsus, which is a semi-terrestrial crab, and a lot more colorful (orange and blue) than the common Sally Lightfoot found in marine tanks.

Last edited:

kdsealyon

I completely agree. I hadn't had my morning shake yet when I saw I discovered it lol. Then I was required to step into a morning meeting to boot. Horrors lol

kdsealyon

I believe the Sally Lightfoot crabs that are purchased for marine aquariums are Percnon Gibbesi. Most marine vendors label them as such, just as Saltwaterfish.com does. I think they are sometimes confused with Grapsus Grapsus, which is a semi-terrestrial crab, and a lot more colorful (orange and blue) than the common Sally Lightfoot found in marine tanks.
From the research I have done it's a Yes. I wonder if it can hang upside down like my SLF can?