Back to basics- 29g adventure

snakeblitz33

The test kits are about three years old or so. I think it's about time to ditch them.

I'm going to buy the cheap API test kits and test this afternoon.

I went ahead and dosed 4floz of calcium and .7oz of alkalinity this morning and I'll wait until this evening to test it again.

If I can get my levels pretty much high and stabilized and see that hydenophora gain more color and start growing over the epoxy, I'll buy a frag pack online. It shouldnt take long to start seeing improvement.

The blue ridge is actually a pretty fast grower in this system. It's already starting to grow over the epoxy. Woo hoo!

Anyways, just doing a little at a time and experimenting.

pegasus

API? o_O Okay... whatever. :p

If I were you, I wouldn't dose both alk and cal during the same time period. I had a problem with the elements see-sawing when I tried that. I started dosing cal in the morning, and alk late at night, which worked a little better. The ideal scenario is to dose alk early in the morning, so there's no huge pH spike, and calcium in the afternoon or evening. The farther apart the dosing, the better. Of course, I don't always follow my own advice... lol! I have my dosing pump set up to dose calcium in four seperate intervals, 30 minutes apart, and it starts dosing cal at 2:00pm. Alk is set up the same way, but starts at 2:00am. Parameters are very consistent now.

snakeblitz33

So after 12oz of Randy's calcium recipe 2, I got my calcium level up to 400mg/L.

And after 3.5oz of the alkalinity recipe 2, I got the alkalinity up to 9dKH.

So apparently my levels were really low after not dosing for a week. I want to get my calcium level up to about 440mg/L and dKH up to 10 and then try to keep it there and steady for the next few weeks.

snakeblitz33

Oh, by the way, I also see a major difference in the look of the sandbed. I'm not sure if it is the extra critters or the extra flow or the phosphate reactor, but the tank is cleaning up and looking good.

I'm glad that I got some accurate test kits even though they are API, I'm glad that I'm able to just know where things are.

pegasus

Oh, by the way, I also see a major difference in the look of the sandbed. I'm not sure if it is the extra critters or the extra flow or the phosphate reactor, but the tank is cleaning up and looking good.

I'm glad that I got some accurate test kits even though they are API, I'm glad that I'm able to just know where things are.
Awesome! Every little bit helps. :D

It's very comforting knowing what parameters are, even if they're off a bit. Not knowing makes me awfully nervous! :eek:

snakeblitz33

Wow.

I woke up this morning and the nepthea is in full bloom and feeding. The trumpets stomachs are opened up and my blue ridge corals have grown about a quarter inch,.... Which makes me wonder just how bad it was off....

I am going to add another 8oz to get the CA up today and maybe another 1oz of alkalinity just to be sure its all good.

The sps are really taking off with the proper levels. Hah, who knew, right? Lol.

eric b 125

Do you think you might start doing water changes more frequently? I've been looking into dosers for my build and everything I've come across, and all the suggestions given to me, say that regular small water changes with a decent salt mix should be all we need for tanks this size.

snakeblitz33

I don't like to mix saltwater. I never have liked it. So I have been buying it from the fish store. Ten gallons a month and a water change on the first or second of every month. My LFS uses instant ocean, and as soon as I buy the next batch, I'll check the calcium and alkalinity levels and add to it as necessary before the water change.

I don't really like to do water changes, and I'm pretty comfortable manually dosing. It gives me something to do and have fun with.

--

I went to a doctors office today and did some paperwork, .. They had a 90g corner bowfront in the corner of the room that looked like no one had touched it in a long time. I asked about it and the receptionist told me that a company in town maintains it. But the funny thing is that that particular company has not been in business for about eight years. It's in deplorable condition, which is what most tanks in doctors offices are in around this area. I just feel bad for the fish and corals in the tank. Their skimmer is a hang on back reef octopus and it was overflowing,... It was a horrible sight to see.

pegasus

Do you think you might start doing water changes more frequently? I've been looking into dosers for my build and everything I've come across, and all the suggestions given to me, say that regular small water changes with a decent salt mix should be all we need for tanks this size.
Small tanks can get by with frequent water changes. In the same breath, I will say that it depends on the amount of demand as to whether or not water changes are to your advantage. A small tank will only hold so much alk and cal, which can be depleted very quickly if you have lot of corals. For lightly stocked coral tanks, water changes are sufficient. Once you reach the point where water changes can't meet the demand for elements, it's time to start dosing. Once the demand requires large water changes very frequently, it's cheaper to dose than to replace saltwater. Once you start dosing, you only change water when you have to. This applies to all tanks... from 10 gallons to 10,000 gallons. Like Seth, I don't really like to do water changes. Right now, I'm on month 3 since my last water change. I have a batch mixed, and will probably do a change in the next week or so, but not because any of my parameters need correcting... I'll do it just to replenish minor elements that I don't test for.

snakeblitz33

I kinda like my method of dosing a bit better than frequent water changes. I know that water changes replenish trace elements, which is why I still do water changes.

My power is out at the house right now and I have absolutely no battery backups. I think I might need to invest in at least an air pump before I get too many expensive corals.

snakeblitz33

Power came on again. It was only off for a couple of hours.

Been having a lot of those lately.

I'm gonna test my parameters to see where they are and how much it has dropped in 48 hours. I

pegasus

I went to a doctors office today and did some paperwork, .. They had a 90g corner bowfront in the corner of the room that looked like no one had touched it in a long time. I asked about it and the receptionist told me that a company in town maintains it. But the funny thing is that that particular company has not been in business for about eight years. It's in deplorable condition, which is what most tanks in doctors offices are in around this area. I just feel bad for the fish and corals in the tank. Their skimmer is a hang on back reef octopus and it was overflowing,... It was a horrible sight to see.
Hmm... sounds like an opportunity to pick up a little extra cash.

My power is out at the house right now and I have absolutely no battery backups. I think I might need to invest in at least an air pump before I get too many expensive corals.
It's a good idea to have a battery-powered air pump just for these occasions. I need at least two more, but can't decide if I'd rather invest in a UPS unit that will power stuff for a longer period of time. I could alternate between power heads and return pumps that way. Actually, I need a small generator.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I need a generator as well. But I'm working on a plan to build a small cold smoke, smoke house for meat preservation.

Being off grid, and/or prepared to go off grid long term is important to me. A generator is too loud and requires an unsustainable fuel source. I'd rather build a sterling engine.

I'm fixing to test calcium and alkalinity this evening.

snakeblitz33

So if I did it right, I have concluded that my calcium drops by 20mg/L per day and my alk drops 1dKH per day.

I'm dosing 4oz calcium and 1.5oz alkalinity and a few drops of Kent tech M every day.

I'll test again tomorrow to see where it stands and then maybe test again next weekend.

Things are looking great!

pegasus

It's coming along. Sooner or later the dosing lines should run parallel. In human terms... equal amounts of alk and cal.

snakeblitz33

Pegasus,... You don't know what I used for my alkalinity. ;)

I used half sodium carbonate, half sodium bicarbonate and mixed it 2x strength. And since its a mix and 2x strength, its approximately 3x-4x lower the dose. So its basically running parallel currently.

I have not looked at it this morning yet, but I'm sure that everything is fine. I increased the lighting intensity by ten percent, both channels. Now it's up to 70% and I'm keeping it there until I get more SPS corals.

I'm almost seeing daily growth on my frags now, which is pretty awesome.

snakeblitz33

I learned most of the chemistry from my formal education... But I know there are a few great articles out there, especially the ones by Randy Holmes-Farley.

He discusses in detail what three part dosing is and he gives several different recipes to make your own at home, like I do.

I buy a jar of Ball pickle crisp and put it in a 1g water jug. It gets super hot when it dissolves in the water. Gotta keep shaking the water jug to keep the plastic from melting. That's your calcium solution, and dirt cheap compared to store bought.

Then the alkalinity part is 1 1/8 cups baking soda to one gallon of water. I like to put it in a stock pot and lightly warm it up and stir it in before putting it in the water jug. That's alkalinity - how cheap is baking soda?

For magnesium, I use magnesium sulphate- or Epsom salt. It's cheap. Four pounds is about three dollars. I take a funnel and add in four pounds in a water jug and then pour RO water over it and shake it to mix.

The best part is that you can look online at reef calculators and it will have an option to select (Randy's two part, recipe #2) and you put in the total system volume and it calculates how much to dose. Best thing I like is I can do it from my phone. Lol.

I've kinda done it so often now that I know 4oz of calcium raises my calcium by 20ppm and I know 1oz of my deviated from the recipe alkalinity raises it by 1dKH.

The magnesium I add the day after the water change.

I never do more adjustment then 1dKH per day and never raise calcium by more than 60ppm at a time...

Works for me....

Hell, I am now seeing growth on my hydnophora. It's got light green tips on it now and I think it's starting to recover nicely.

I'm considering making a coral order soon since I am seeing such improvement.