Sump: Will this work for a 20 gallon aquarium?

pegasus

Sweet! Thank you! Is there anything I need to purchase for it?
It depends. You have to have a way to get water from the tank to the sump, and from the sump back to the tank. Some sumps come with 3' hoses(s) to carry water from the tank to the sump. If not, you'll need a hose for that, as well as a hose to carry water back to the tank. Does the tank have an overflow on it? If not, you have a couple of options. You can drill a hole in the back of the tank with a diamond dust hole saw and install a bulkhead, and another hole for the return line. Or... you can purchase an overflow box that hangs on the back of the tank, and one of those return nozzles that also hangs on the back of the tank. You'll also need a return pump to go in the sump. Since it's a small tank, you won't need much flow through the sump, so you'll need to get a pump that matches the flow... since the pump is what determines the amount of flow. Sumps are typically designed for a skimmer to sit in the large chamber, but they aren't completely necessary. You can put some filter media in the large chamber, and it may be all you need. A pantyhose bag with ChemiClean and another with carbon will do a lot for cleaning the water if put in an area of high flow. It's possible to put macro algae in the big chamber if the flow isn't too strong. Since it's only a 20 gallon tank, and sump flow should be around 10x the tank size, a 200 GPH pump should work just fine. That should be the amount of flow going into the tank, not the pump size... so something like a Mag Drive 2 would work nicely since it pumps 205 GPH @ 3'. I was typing when you posted that you had ordered it. I was hoping to get this posted before you ordered it, in case it looks like all the accessories might be more than you want to spend on a sump. There are some HOB sumps and/or refugiums that will work fine for a small tank, and don't require alot of the stuff needed for a remote sump.

kdsealyon

I can always cancel the order. I'll have to have a hang over the back over flow box. HOB sumps? I'll go take a looksy on Amazon. Thanks! You are the best! Does HOB sump mean hang on back sump?

kdsealyon

Is this what you are suggesting? http://www.amazon.com/CPR-AquaFuge2-Hang-On-Refugium-Small/dp/B001F1W7YU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441250873&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=hang+over+back+refugium

It depends. You have to have a way to get water from the tank to the sump, and from the sump back to the tank. Some sumps come with 3' hoses(s) to carry water from the tank to the sump. If not, you'll need a hose for that, as well as a hose to carry water back to the tank. Does the tank have an overflow on it? If not, you have a couple of options. You can drill a hole in the back of the tank with a diamond dust hole saw and install a bulkhead, and another hole for the return line. Or... you can purchase an overflow box that hangs on the back of the tank, and one of those return nozzles that also hangs on the back of the tank. You'll also need a return pump to go in the sump. Since it's a small tank, you won't need much flow through the sump, so you'll need to get a pump that matches the flow... since the pump is what determines the amount of flow. Sumps are typically designed for a skimmer to sit in the large chamber, but they aren't completely necessary. You can put some filter media in the large chamber, and it may be all you need. A pantyhose bag with ChemiClean and another with carbon will do a lot for cleaning the water if put in an area of high flow. It's possible to put macro algae in the big chamber if the flow isn't too strong. Since it's only a 20 gallon tank, and sump flow should be around 10x the tank size, a 200 GPH pump should work just fine. That should be the amount of flow going into the tank, not the pump size... so something like a Mag Drive 2 would work nicely since it pumps 205 GPH @ 3'. I was typing when you posted that you had ordered it. I was hoping to get this posted before you ordered it, in case it looks like all the accessories might be more than you want to spend on a sump. There are some HOB sumps and/or refugiums that will work fine for a small tank, and don't require alot of the stuff needed for a remote sump.

kdsealyon

That would be so cool if I didn't have to mess with a sump. I haven't a lot of room. At the same time, I have a protein skimmer, algae scraper, surface skimmer, the canister filter, and a media reactor which will all be in the 20 gallon tank. What do you think?

Last edited:

lmforbis

You might not need all the other equipment once the sump is going. You should be able to remove the canister eventually. I use an eshopps overflow on my small tank. I got it at Amazon. it works well and is quiet.

kdsealyon

I can't say this enough. This is such a friendly forum and I receive so much useful advice. Thanks everyone!

2quills

The trick is going to be finding a HOB overflow that small. Most of those overflows that rely on a siphon require a minimum amount of flow to be maintained in order for them to be reliable.

You'll need a small one that won't overwhelm the 20 g display with flow.

pegasus

EShopps PF-Nano Nano Overflow Box is rated for 200 GPH (max), which should be perfect for your tank if you want to use a sump. Yes, HOB stands for "hang on back". One like the link you provided will work nicely. Of course, you'd have to provide lighting for the macro algae. If you wanted to use the HOB refugium and the sump with skimmer, you would be set. The sump would add a good bit of water to the system (always a good thing), the skimmer would remove protiens and DOC's, and the refugium would remove nitrates and phosphates. That would be a killer combination. Just my 2c...

Last edited:

kdsealyon

EShopps PF-Nano Nano Overflow Box is rated for 200 GPH (max), which should be perfect for your tank if you want to use a sump. Yes, HOB stands for "hang on back". One like the link you provided will work nicely. Of course, you'd have to provide lighting for the macro algae. If you wanted to use the HOB refugium and the sump with skimmer, you would be set. The sump would add a good bit of water to the system (always a good thing), the skimmer would remove protiens and DOC's, and the refugium would remove nitrates and phosphates. That would be a killer combination. Just my 2c...

Ordered!! Thank you, thank you! Little Toot is one expensive crab, but so worth it, and it will let me delve into other inverts too. :) ~beaming~

kdsealyon

I'm still waiting for my sump to arrive. Once that sump is setup, will everything have to cycle again since I will be adding more water?

pegasus

I'm still waiting for my sump to arrive. Once that sump is setup, will everything have to cycle again since I will be adding more water?
No. Since it's just a sump with fresh saltwater, it won't affect the tank. Just be sure the water temp and salinity are the same as the tank water before you start up the return pump. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take a gallon or two from the tank and put it in the sump, and replace the water in the tank with fresh-mixed saltwater. Not necessary, but could help balance parameters out just a little. Filling the sump with fresh-mixed saltwater will work fine just the same, as it's basically the same thing as a water change. Just thought I'd give you an option... lol!

Last edited:

kdsealyon

Thank you. I will follow your advice when the time comes. I hope it is soon. The nitrates in the cycling tank are 20, nitrites 3, ammonia 0, and phosphates 0.25

pegasus

Sounds like it's almost done with cycling. Just need the nitrite to go to zero, and then do a large water change to get the nitrated down. Fish can live with a good bit of nitrate, but I think it's healthier for them if it's closer to zero. Perhaps when you get some macro algae in the fuge, it'll start dropping. I'm assuming you went with the HOB refugium as well as the sump... correct?