best bulbs for supplementing

lmforbis

I have a 40b that has been set up since May. Originally, I used it as a quarantine for my tangs that needed more space than my 20 gal. QT. Tangs moved to display tank in July. My plan was always to use this tank for a reef with only a couple clown fish. I want to keep anemones and SPS, maybe some LPS. My big tank has zoas, mushrooms and LPS but mostly it is fish. I added sand and reef saver rock a couple months ago and it has been cycling through GHA and cyano ever since. The only animals in it are a tuxedo urchin and some hermits and snails. Two weeks ago I added a Kessil a360we to it. I love the light Kessils produce but I can't justify the cost of a second one to eliminate shadows. Yesterday I ordered a 2 light T5 HO fixture, really only wanted a one bulb fixture but couldn't find one. This is more for supplemental light to help coral and anemone growth and to eliminate shadows, not for light that makes the tank pleasing to the eye. The fixture comes with 2 bulbs but I suspect they are crappy ones. I am looking at replacing them with either ATI or Giesemann bulbs but not sure which type would be best. I'm leaning toward something that has more actinic than anything else. Any suggestion?

pegasus

If you're only wanting to supplement the Kessil and don't need "visible light" for viewing, ATI true actinic and coral plus bulbs will help tremendously with photosynthesis in your corals.

lmforbis

That's what I was thinking but I haven't used fluorescent since I had VHO bulbs. I have never had SPS.
The fixture comes with one actinic and one 10000K. I think I'll replace the 10000K first then the actinic a month or two later so they are not on the same replacement schedule.

pegasus

That's what I was thinking but I haven't used fluorescent since I had VHO bulbs. I have never had SPS.
The fixture comes with one actinic and one 10000K. I think I'll replace the 10000K first then the actinic a month or two later so they are not on the same replacement schedule.
I think those bulbs are standard issue with T5 HO lamps. I bought my lamps on ebay, and had the replacement ATI bulbs on hand before the fixtures arrived. Those cheap (Chinese) stock bulbs may not even be within the spectrum advertised. I never had much luck with 10K and actinic combos, and I've got too much invested in my corals to take any chances...

lmforbis

I have nothin invested in coral yet so I'm not worried about them. I'll order bulbs when I put my next order into BRS in a couple weeks, I need to get a GFO reactor for this tank too. Il probably order a couple corals then as well.

pegasus

I have nothin invested in coral yet so I'm not worried about them. I'll order bulbs when I put my next order into BRS in a couple weeks, I need to get a GFO reactor for this tank too. Il probably order a couple corals then as well.
And so it begins... lol!!!

lmforbis

The T5HO fixture came on Wednesday. I put it up with just the actinic bulb. I'm ordering new bulbs next week when I put in my next order to BRS. Probably on Friday so I can pick them up after work. I'm a little leary about having them ship them and on Fridays I can leave work early enough to stop by the BRS offices and pick up my order.
Yesterday I noticed the cyano I have been fighting since I added sand and rock to the tank in July was gone. It has to be related to the lighting. I added the Kessil 360we a couple weeks ago and the T5 on Wednesday. Prior to that I had my cheap LEDs on the tank.
The only thing I don't like is the Kessils give the tank a very natural color but with the T5 actinic it is really too blue. I'm going to have to play around with the kessil spectrum to try to get the color the way I like it.

THe first one was a couple weeks ago and the second one last night.
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_2468.JPG

pegasus

The tank looks bluer in the first picture, but it may be due to the back lighting from the window in the second picture. If the T5 lighting is too blue for your taste, try one actinic and one daylight bulb. Daylight bulbs tend to give off a yellowish color, but the actinic will balance the colors out for a more natural look.

lmforbis

The first pic is Kessil only the day I got it. They always photograph really blue but don't look it in reality. The second one had natural light in the room. The big difference is no cyano.

lmforbis

I ended up buying ATI bulbs, one true actinic and one purple plus. I am very happy with the look.

pegasus

I ended up buying ATI bulbs, one true actinic and one purple plus. I am very happy with the look.
Awesome! Glad you found a combination that meets your satisfaction. I'm considering swapping out one (or both) of my Coral Plus bulb(s) for Actinic 03 in each of my fixtures. I think I'll be happier with just a hint more of a blue tint...