Foxface has Pop Eye

KHow

Well, this is almost too much... After re-homing a bully Lemonpeel a week or so ago, my Foxface has what is pretty clearly, Popeye. Any hope of making him better without a QT tank? It's affecting one eye. He has been hanging low and chilling for a day or so, I just saw his right eye today.

lmforbis

Once in a while I have a fish that develops that. Generally I just make sure the water is good and feed healthy food soaked in selcon and they get better on their own.

jay0705

Agreed, I had a yellow tang get it. I would guess from hitting something. It went away in a day

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are your water parameters? Does the aggressive lemonpeel have to do with the problem? Was the foxface a target of the aggression? What are you feeding your fish and how often?

KHow

Params are all pretty much right on target... I do monthly large volume water changes and just completed one three or four days ago. The Lemonpeel was aggressive towards the Foxface, and he was traded in. The Popeye is new, since the water change and well after the Angel was removed.

KHow

Not looking good. Hanging out on the sand a lot. Pectorals are moving well and his breathing seems ok. But overall, he looks sick. The left eye has gone down considerably though...
image.jpeg

KHow

Oh! Lost my other clown this morning. When I took the above pic, I was looking for the clown, wife just confirmed, she found him dead this am. What is going on??? Taking water to the LFS now for a test.

KHow

Foxface looks better after a few minutes.... Still not sure what's up though. Prelim test looks like ammonia spike...
image.jpeg

KHow

I am paying too close of attention most likely. I have been a cussed of doing that!! Tried to upload video but couldn't. All three of my remaining fish look good. I think i need to address the ammonia though.

jay0705

Yes do a water change. Do u have anything else dead in the tank that could cause the spike?

lmforbis

You might add an amonia detoxifier like Prime. Once you add it, though, your ammonia test won't be valid unless you use a SeaChem test or ammonia badge.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You have ammonia, which is very likely your problem. Use the ammonia detoxifier as suggested by imforbis, do some small water changes over the next couple of days.

Now why do you have ammonia? It may be the dead fish found, but a good system is not going to do that just with a dead fish in the tank for a few hours.

How is your water circulation?

KHow

Ok, here is the update.. Took sample to two stores. Both tested for ammonia and found a much lower reaction/level or indication of ammonia in my sample. All the parameter were checked as well and all were found to be well inside acceptable levels... So....
New test kit to be ordered
Circulation is good, two cross flowing power heads
Popeye on rabbit is all cleared up
Rabbit seems much better, but has chosen a corner of the tank to spend his chill time which makes him more visible to me
Wife says the clown looked funny yesterday, mouth always open and pale around the face.
Going to let everything stabilize and continue watching params.
Will consider macro algae for better export, but with no 'fuge, will accept any suggestions and thoughts on my plan...
Aaaand! By the way, you guys are awesome!

jay0705

Np. I use to feed my tangs. Some does last awhile but eventually they always find it lol

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just note that ANY ammonia, no matter how low, is bad news and should be immediately addressed.