LED Question

KHow

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I was able to set up an older LED light. It has white and blue with a combo option for both at the same time. Three fans keep it cool.... I will try to post a pic or two. The question is, would this be suitable to keep what some would consider "beginner" coral or an anemone?
image.jpeg

pegasus

10K and Actinic doesn't provide enough of the proper light spectrum for an anemone. You need "full-spectrum" lighting to grow a healthy nem. I'd try the lights for a couple of months to see if they'll even grow coralline algae on the rocks before sinking any money in any corals. If it doesn't grow coralline algae, it's not going to give adequate wavelengths for even soft corals. I made a $200 mistake on a similar LED fixture, and it grew nothing but nuisance algae. It's still sitting in a closet... two years later.

KHow

Hmmm ok. These were cheap.. $40 for a pair.. Re-furbed one and set it up. Still have the other to sand and paint. Can you help with defining what I have here, just a little more? And maybe what's missing? I'm a little overwhelmed looking at articles and websites. Everyone has THE BEST light for sale!!

lmforbis

I have to agree with Peg. I have a number of LED fixtures in my closet. I have a Marineland that is just white and blue that I use when I set up my QT tank mostly because it has a built in timer but it is a crap light. Won't even grow algae. I have 2 full spectrum cheap chinese LEDs. They aren't bad as far as their ability to grow basic coral but they grow algae really, really well. I finally invested in Kessils. I have their 160s over my 125 where I only plan on zoas and LPS they are great. I have their brighter 360 fixture on my 40b as well as a 2 strip HO t5 fixture mostly because I want an anemone and SPS. Unfortunately the good LEDs are expensive.

KHow

Dang!.... Howells don't win.... Christmas is coming I guess. I've been sitting on this light for like four months. Finally made the move on installing it, welded up a frame and support, after I stripped it down and reworked it.... So what is it missing? Red? Different LEDs altogether? It looks very very similar to the lights apt at my LFS has over all over their coral tanks.

lmforbis

Most likely it is the wavelength of the light. The lights I use have true UV. They are optimized to produce the wavelengths corals need.

KHow

Just looked at Kesils... Well, that's not happening. For sure not on a firemans salary.

lmforbis

Have you looked at HO t5 fluorescents. I got a 36" two bulb fixture for around $40 on eBay. You'd probably want at least 4 bulbs but I expect the price is under $100. The bulbs are crappy and should be upgraded to better quality bulbs but that can be done one at a time if necessary.

KHow

I was thinking about a T5... But I only have a single bulb hood. That would mean getting a whole new one... But my LFS has LED strip lights with a controller for $150. Might just as well do that. Let me look for the brand....pretty sure they are from Current... The store has a couple of nano tanks lit by there and the corals are thriving.

bang guy

I have a different opinion - not that I'm right but my experience differs.

I've seen the zooxantellae population adapt to just about any visible light spectrum and I've even seen some adapt to UVA light (but that wasn't 100% successful). In my opinion a 10K a Actinic would be just fine providing the intensty is sufficient.

pegasus

I have a differentopinion - not thatI'm right but my experience differs.

I've seen the zooxantellae population adapt to just about any visible light spectrum and I've even seen some adapt to UVA light (but that wasn't 100% successful). In my opinion a 10K a Actinic would be just fine providing the intensty is sufficient.
I suppose different people have different experiences. Here's mine: I bought a 36"-48" Marineland "Reef Capable" LED lamp with timer to go on my 40B tank (36" wide). I kept it on the tank for a few months, and I never got the first bit of coralline algae to grow on my reef saver rocks. The live rocks I put in the tank to seed the new rock were bleach white within a couple of weeks. I finally removed it when algae started growing out of control. I ran both the white and blue LEDS during the 12 hour daylight photoperiod, and I can assure you, the light was very intense... almost painfully intense. I also bought an LED refugium lamp in 6500K, which was supposed to be ideal for macro algae. I watched ball after ball of cheato disintegrate into oblivion. I replaced the light on the tank with a four-bulb T5, and the light on the fuge with a 23W spiral fluorescent "daylight" bulb in a reflector lamp. It was no time until I couldn't see through the sides of my fuge for all the coralline algae and chaeto grows like crazy, and I'm constantly scraping it off the glass in my 40B... which has softies, LPS, and SPS in it now. Just my experience...

bang guy

Are we discussing lighting for Anemone/corals or for coralline? I agree, many types of coralline do not do well under intense lighting.

bang guy

Apologies. There are lots of ways to set up your system. I know it can get confusing if you get too many details. If it were me I would lean toward the experience of someone that has used a specific LED successfully. That doesn't include me but does include Pegasus.

KHow

It would seem to me, that any new, commercially available consumer product that has been developed to support saltwater aquariums, would be on point.... I understand that an older LED light source, even though it was designed for aquariums, might be less than ideal. It seems like it would have some effective light though. Of course, most DIY projects would be less than ideal unless it was created by someone with expert knowledge. That's no big deal to me. I like DIY stuff but I also understand when it is too much project. So, let's boil it down to brass tacks.....
36g 8"- 20" depth... Entry level LED light suggestions....

lmforbis

If you want softies and maybe some LPS one of the Chinese boxes might work. I'd look for Mars Aqua (never used them but I've read a lot of references to them). I have another brand. One at about $100.
For better lighting a Kessil A150W is an older model still available on Amazon and other places for $160. It looks like the A350 is $240. The A350 is more intense. They come in different wavelengths. Another option is to watch forums like reef to reef and reef central where people are selling lights.
Of the ones I listed all will grow softies and LPS. The Kessil A350 might be enough for some SPS and anemones. You could always mix with a T5.
Those are the only ones I'm familiar with.
There are a lot of newly released led fixtures that claim they will grow coral but won't. The expensive ones will. This is an unfortunate thing.

KHow

Thanks I appreciate the Intel. I think I'm out of the game until after January... Just too much to figure out and too expensive.... I will run the light I have, enjoy my fish and look into it next year. I actually LOST a fish this week. Bought two firefish, two hour drip acclimation, all was good, now I can't find one of them. It's been three days, wife moved all the Rick, cover has been on the tank. It is like 90% covered. No sign of one of the firefish. Hard to succeed in this hobby.

pegasus

Thanks I appreciate the Intel. I think I'm out of the game until after January... Just too much to figure out and too expensive.... I will run the light I have, enjoy my fish and look into it next year. I actually LOST a fish this week. Bought two firefish, two hour drip acclimation, all was good, now I can't find one of them. It's been three days, wife moved all the Rick, cover has been on the tank. It is like 90% covered. No sign of one of the firefish. Hard to succeed in this hobby.
I've gone through 5 firefish... three initial firefish, suddenly down to 1. Bought 2 more, suddenly down to 1. Looks like 1 is the magic number for firefish in my tank. Firefish, like most all dartfish, are jumpers... and they manage to find the tiniest openings to get through. On the brighter side, the one you have remaining will probably still be there years from now... ;)