mini/nano tank

So I am new to the world of salt water. I have been asking questions here to try and build some knowledge on the subject.

I am wondering if a 5 gallon salt water tank with some shrimp would be possible,

I want to have live rock (coral if I can) and some shrimps.

I know its harder to have a 5 gallon salt tank because its harder to keep it stable.

But I have found that I n my fresh water fish tank I was able to keep shrimp and crayfish with almost no maintenance at all.

Is this possible, because in my current situation I don't want to have to move a bigger salt water setup

lmforbis

It is not impossible but It would be very difficult to maintain a tank that small. You can't really equate it to fresh water. Everything is more sensitive to changes in water quality and parameters. I have been doing salt water for over 15 years and I'd never try it. My smallest is a 40b.

My problem with it is moving, and costs. An space.

I don't want to dismantle my fresh water tanks, and only have space for a 10 at max.

I just want to try salt out, grow some live rock, and maybe have like some shrimps. I don't mind extra work, I just can't have anyth bigger

bang guy

I've done nano tanks a few times successfully. The difficulty has already been discussed. If your goals are modest like you said then you should be able to pull it off.

We have a Nano forum here, I'd rcommend going through past posts.

I'm trying to decide between a 5 gal and 10, I have 2 or 3 5 gal sitting around, and would have to buy a 10.

What are some of my fish options for both?

Are clowns reasonabe? What about a starfish?

What are the options I can have with 5 gal? Would it be worth it?

bang guy

10 all the way. There isn't a lot of equipment acceptable for tanks smaller than 10 gallons in saltwater. I had a 5 gallon once, meh, it's just OK. Here's a picture of a 10 gallon I did some years back:

That is amazing. Very nice.

Is it possible for me to setup fowlr tank, and in the future upgrade my lighting and grow coral?
What fish could go in

10 all the way. There isn't a lot of equipment acceptable for tanks smaller than 10 gallons in saltwater. I had a 5 gallon once, meh, it's just OK. Here's a picture of a 10 gallon I did some years back:

bang guy

I would suggest just two or three very small fish. I don't mean baby fish, I mean docile fish that stay small. Clown Gobies, Neon Gobies, Barnacle Blenny, etc.

Something doable that could be fun would be a Pistol Shrimp and some type of Shrimp Goby.

Chad C.

If you put base rocks in, you can add live rock to it later. You have to make sure to cure the rock before adding it though. Best of luck with the nano!