My second attempt

GregJames

I was way too impatient the first go around, so here is attempt number 2.

29gal tank with 20lbs of live sand, 8lbs of crushed coral on top, 40lbs of live rock, marineland filter, 100w heater, 3 powerheads, and a Current-USA Pro LED light.

The rock has been in for 3 days, and the ammonia has spiked.
What's next?

flower

What is next??? Just waiting until ammonia drops to 0, then nitrites drop to 0...then nitrates.

flower

Would dosing bacteria help?
Hi,

There is just no hurry up method. Even if you dose bacteria, it will still take time for it to build colonies enough to be cycled, you have that already with your live rock, and an ammonia spike. PATIENCE is the key to success

jivajeff

I was way too impatient the first go around, so here is attempt number 2.

29gal tank with 20lbs of live sand, 8lbs of crushed coral on top, 40lbs of live rock, marineland filter, 100w heater, 3 powerheads, and a Current-USA Pro LED light.

The rock has been in for 3 days, and the ammonia has spiked.
What's next?
Even with elevated ammonia if u just can't wait u can add some " clean up crew ' critters like hermit crabs and even a shrimp. I would only go with the cleaner shrimp though. Other types require extra attention to thrive, like pistol shrimp and mantis shrimp. Stick with the Scarlet cleaner or Peppermint shrimp. You can feed them a little food and it will help with the tank cycling. Then when ammonia levels finally drop you can start adding fish and you have had some fun with the shrimp and hermit crabs in the mean time. They will handle the ammonia --- they're tough guys!
Hi,

There is just no hurry up method. Even if you dose bacteria, it will still take time for it to build colonies enough to be cycled, you have that already with your live rock, and an ammonia spike. PATIENCE is the key to success

flower

LOL...I never noticed the impatient part at the very start.

You can use this waiting time to set up a quarantine tank, do some reading up, and window shop equipment to see what you might do in the future. Build your fish wish list, and research them.

deejeff0442

Thats a base rock price. Good lr is usually anywhere from 5 to 8 dollars a pound. I would go to a local fish store and buy 1 good rock maybe 5 pounds to seed the rest of it.

deejeff0442

I went back and looked .i Do see some growth on it. Usually you will have alot more coraline on it . I do see some also sponge. So it should grow and spread over time

deejeff0442

Lol. Just like watching a restaurant commercial. The food looks alot different when you get it. Definitely not premium. But for what you spent i would be happy. No way getting around algae on a new tank. If there are no fish to look at i would just leave the light off untill after the cycle. Most people of course want it on to see everything. But the light adds to the algae big time in a new tank

GregJames

Yeah it's been off for two days now. Only things in the tank are a couple clams, hermit crabs, various snails, and 2 emerald crabs