What's the best Sand-cleaning/sifting fish?

I might head over to my LFS, and I was thinking of investing in some sort of fish or invert to help with my sand...my sand is relatively clean..but I sift it myself...which is quite tedious...and I'd much rather have it done naturally...I heard of a certain type of crab who's really good with detritus, and then of the diamond (or is it sleeper, I've heard both responses) goby. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you!

Yeah, that's what I was planning on...though I might order him through swf.com...I just called my LFS for a price and he's selling him for 40 bucks! D=

ophiura

Why do you sift your sand?
It is completely unnecessary to do, and even detrimental if you have a deep sand bed. Fish and things like sand sifter stars EAT the creatures that do stir the sand that are desirable - worms, crustaceans, etc. If you want a functional sand bed, I strongly enourage sand stirrers, like nassarius snails, conchs, etc rather than fish. Sand sifting fish will potentially cause problems in reef tanks as well, by spreading sand around quite a lot.

sh2000

there is some dirt in my sand bed in the middle how can i clean it up i have 25 nas snails in my 80 rt...2 queen conch although i belive hermit crabs took the counche's shell.. i dunno how ... but the sb is still a bit dirty and i have a diamond goby...what should i do ?

A

alexmir

I have that same problem so advice would be appreciated!

tangwhispr

fighting conchs are great as well as nassarius snails, 2 of the best IMO whatever you do, do NOT get a sandsifting star!

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2454326
It is completely unnecessary to do, and even detrimental if you have a deep sand bed. Fish and things like sand sifter stars EAT the creatures that do stir the sand that are desirable - worms, crustaceans, etc. If you want a functional sand bed, I strongly enourage sand stirrers, like nassarius snails, conchs, etc rather than fish. Sand sifting fish will potentially cause problems in reef tanks as well, by spreading sand around quite a lot.
+1 this is a perfect response

big

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2454326
Ophiura Is correct as to the sand bed.
My choice too if it has to be a fish would a Diamond Goby (aka) Rotor-tiller fish) if you want to have spotless substrate. But they have many downfalls too.
The issues with them are they tend to be jumpers ( no issues with mine) quiet home no kids anymore to startle him with noise. Also a nearly 50 gallon fuge feeding the little pod eater. I have seen where they are tide poll skippers. As long as they have food in this "little tide pool" I think they do not tend to try to leave the pool (jump out of your tank) But it your tank runs out of pods etc , carpet surfing 101 seems to be their next class in school.
The do eat just about anything in the substrate (pods included) leaving the substrate barren of seeable critters. Next, they will rearrange the landscaping of your substrate regularly!! If you have a "DSB" he will make mountains out of it in places. Other than these issues, they are just about unbeatable at keeping the substrate clean, but you pay the cost of living with these issues forever more. Plus they are a neat fish to watch work......... Good Luck.... Warren

ophiura

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2455015
there is some dirt in my sand bed in the middle how can i clean it up i have 25 nas snails in my 80 rt...2 queen conch although i belive hermit crabs took the counche's shell.. i dunno how ... but the sb is still a bit dirty and i have a diamond goby...what should i do ?

Generally if you have detritus accumulating on the sand, you have several issues. One is flow, meaning you have basically dead spots. The next is that you may be overfeeding, and finally, it may be your clean up crew being understaffed, so to speak.

i definitely would suggest getting a conch.. they do an amazing job with cleaning your sandbed.. i got one and my sandbed was looking absolutely terrible.. a week later it was white like it used to be!!!!
so get a conch

addicted2

fighting conch. they do a great job and are really weird to look at...strange eyes, snout..whatever you want to call it...long nose-vaccuum hose kinda appendage..and that FOOT thing! whoa! definitely wierd.

big

Originally Posted by addicted2
http:///forum/post/2456629
fighting conch. they do a great job and are really weird to look at...strange eyes, snout..whatever you want to call it...long nose-vaccuum hose kinda appendage..and that FOOT thing! whoa! definitely wierd.

Yep they are neat, but I think this person has a 30 gallon cube. If this is that tank refered to, A fighting conch would starve in a tank that size after not too long.

pitbull1438

well from my past experience i have always had watchman gobies.they may not look so nice but they really are .
good sand sifters