Please help!

Snapcase26

so my tank have an ich outbreak and i am planning on doing hyposalinity treatment. i plan on doing this on my dt cause i dont have a space for a hospital tank. So basically my question is, can i cure my tank of ich using hyposalinity completely even without removing the lr and substrate. Thanks in advance

flower

Yep...it will cure Ich. It will also kill every tiny critter in the sand and rock. Which will throw the entire tank into unbalanced conditions. You can't do hypo in the display. What size is your display? How large are the fish you are trying to save?

I had a 90g that got ich. The fish were too many, and too large for a hospital tank. I used "Kick Ick" because I had inverts, and it said it was safe...well the inverts looked awful, and it didn't cure anything, the ich was still there.

My solution: I got some skunk cleaner shrimp (they like to clean up, and eat ich parasites off of fish), I started soaking the fish food in FRESH garlic juice before feeding (to up their immune system). The water was kept at the warmest temperature (85), this made my Hypo tang happy and healthy. His stress caused new outbreaks, he liked it warm and toasty. The rest of the fish were healthy enough to endure, and not be overcome by the parasite. I added no new fish, since all new fish are stressed, and stressed fish can't manage to overcome it, all new fish were doomed for an outbreak, and that would allow the parasite to breed by large numbers, which would even kill the fish who were doing well under the circumstances.

I didn't lose a single fish to ich, they were itchy and unhappy for a long time...because even a water change stressed the tang (which is why I eventually upped the temps) Once the temp was at 85, the tang did better, and outbreaks stopped..

I had to move my tank after two years, I was braced for an outbreak, but it never happened. Once I was sure nothing was going to happen. (using a quarantine tank) I added a new fish, all was well, and I never had ich again. Always using A quarantine tank for new fish, is the only way to prevent ich. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

jay0705

It will kill ich yes. But the massive die off will spike your ammonia like a mother. That will be more deadly then the ich itself

lmforbis

Hypo won't kill the bacteria in the tank just reduce the salinity slowly and watch the ammonia. It will kill inverts. You can buy an ammonia badge that hangs in your tank. You need to be prepared to do water changes if you see any ammonia. I also keep SeaChem prime on hand to detoxify ammonia. Prime will interfere with all but SeaChem ammonia tests. That's why I like to use ammonia badges. It is also essential to be able to test salinity accurately, calibrated refractometer not a swing arm hydrometer.

Not sure why all is now bold and I can't turn it off.

You need to be diligent about testing salinity and pH daily. The salinity needs to be between 1.008 and 1.009 at all times. I suspect the tank needs to be kept hypo for the full 72 days to clear the tank of the parisite. The low salinity only affects the free swimming forms not the cysts in the tank so you have to go longer. Drop the salinity slowly. I usually drain 1/4 of the water and gradually add RODI water over the course of the day. Once it is full repeat until the water is at the correct salinity. I usually take about 3 days to drop it.

I have been using hypo every time I put a tang into QT or if the fish is a possible carrier. I've never done it in the display tank. Once you get through the full treatment period you need to increase the salinity very slowly over 2-3 weeks. The fish can handle going down well but going up is harder for them.

flower

Yes it will restart your tank, with lots of die off with your fish in it, which, like Jay expressed is much worse than the ich parasites...it isn't worth it to do hypo in your display...JMO

jay0705

Imforbis is correct the bacteria will not be effected, however the bacteria are built up to handle your current bioload. Once hypo kills off all ur lr critters ammonia will spike

Snapcase26

Ok thanks for the answers.you all have been very helpful and precise.i will post an update as soon as i get started

Snapcase26

Week 1 of hypo lost my heavily infected clown but the others seem to be doing fine. Been doing 20 to 30 percent wc almost everyday to avoid ammonia spikes. Last seen spot was 4 days ago with the clown that perished.