Dry salt on glass

Chris Morton

Hey I'm new into salt water tanks and does anyone know like when there's dry salt on the top around the the glass will in lower the salt level fast and how offer do you have to give live rock food I have the stuff for it and idk how many times a day you poor it into the tank and another question is when you have the tank for a week and at the end of that weekend do you still have to drain it and fill it back up

2quills

Salt Creep. Its caused from bubbles bursting at the surface of the water. And one of the primary reasons for not employing air stones/pumps in saltwater tanks.

Almost impossible to avoid completely. It can lower salinity levels if left unchecked for too long.

Typically, you don't have to specifically feed live rock. Most of the micro fauna get their food from the left overs that don't get eaten and fish waste. Bacteria and algae feed off of the nutrients left behind by the break down of organics (food/waste).

Chris Morton

Ok thank you but I only had the tank for 6 days now do you still have to drain the salt water out a little and I did use the fish store salt water like should you do it like every weekend

2quills

Should let the tank cycle for about a month or so before you really do much to it or add livestock. The system needs time to develop the bacteria that consumes toxic ammonia and nitrite from fish waste and other organics that can kill your fish.

There are some good reads for beginners for setting up a tank in the beginners forum.

You'll want to get yourself a saltwater test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph to monitor these levels. Water parameters will dictate when you should do water changes. Youll also want to pick up a refroctometer or hydrometer to monitor salinity levels.

jay0705

Agree w the above. You only need to maintain your salinity now. No need for water changes until the tank is being stocked. You maintain your salinity by adding fw when needed. Your salinity should rise as your water evaporates. Water does, salt doesn't

Chris Morton

Ok thank you can you give me more edvices since I'm new into this like what I have to watch for in my tank like stuff like that

jay0705

Get a good sw book. Sw for dummies is good. There are a couple other good ones. Testing your waters salinity or sg daily is a good start. It will give you an idea of how fast it drops or rises. If it rises you add fw to bring it back down to where you need it. If it drops generally a normal water change will bump it up again. You do not want a rapid rise or fall. Rise being harder for inhabitants to handle