Mixing Clownfish?

nfsplayer

Hello everyone
today when i got home, i found my Royal Dottyback dead on the floor.
he must of jumped out last night out of my fish tank.
Right now i only have 1 clownfish, so i decided to get another one, fully black one.
so my question is>> Is it safe to mix 1 regular clown and 1 black clown.

bang guy

As long as they are the same species and both of them are not female they will most likely be great together. It's the species that is important, not the color morph when talking about Clownfish.

bang guy

If they fight to the death then they were both female.
Buy a very young Clownfish would be my advice. Then you know it's not female.

Rsherman

I have 2 percolate clownfish doing great, would it be a problem adding 2 tomato clowns if their smaller

jay0705

Tomato clowns are aggressive clowns. So yes it would be iffy. Unless u have a very large tank

iidylii

As long as they are the same species and both of them are not female they will most likely be great together. It's the species that is important, not the color morph when talking about Clownfish.
I guess i dont know if those I mentioned are the same species lol just wondering because my dad was considering 2 of each in a 125 gallon

bang guy

A. percula and A. ocellaris are two seperate species. They have been known to interbreed on occation but it's not common.

I would not attempt 4 Clownfish in a 125 but it has been known to work. I just think the chance of success is too low for me. Typically the female Ocellaris will grow tired of sharing space and kill off the Perculas.

A female Percula will usually claim an area of about one square foot. Not a problem in a 125. The female Ocellaris will usually claim an area of about 4 square feet. You can see how that will usually be an issue with two pair of Clownfish. The Tomatoes you mentioned above will claim the entire tank.