Water Changes

wen tom

So, from the info. I'm gathering it sounds like weekly water changes are not necessarily necessary! I ended up with too much fish (20-22 inches to 75 gal. 20 gal. sump) though. Does that still hold true for me? Thanks. I AM learning a lot! I promise! :)

It always depends on your bioload and what, if any, kind of corals you have. I do a 20 gallon WC on my 90 gal every other week. On my 14 gal biocube I do 3 gallons every week. I never register nitrates.....ever. If I added more on my bioload I might have to go weekly on my 90 gal or increase the %. You just have to see how yours works out

lmforbis

I try to do a 10% water change every week. I use a pump to mix the water and to pump it into the tank. It really only takes an hour or so for me to change water on 2 tanks, a 125 and a 40. I've had issues with high nitrates that were caused by me doing less frequent water changes while I had lifting restrictions after a series of surgeries between July and October. I've been working on getting nitrates down since mid December. They are slowly falling but as a result I have been doing bigger water changes every week. I have a fairly low bio load, I have 6 small fish in my 125 (maybe 14 inches of fish if you measure it that way). In my 40 I have only 2 very small fish (at most 3 inches of fish). I still need to do the water changes or things get out of control very fast.

jay0705

I do water changes every 2-3 wks. Not like I probably should. I don't keep coral tho. My tanks are well stocked. I do keep alot of lr tho. In my 75 I prob have 120lbs. My 56 has like 100lbs. Thats bc iam putting most of it in my big tank. To cover your tail tho, you can either do frequent small changes or less but larger changes.

wen tom

Thank you all so much. I so appreciate your time. My husband got confused. . . if it's not broke don't fix it kinda thiing because the tank is very stable, fish healthy and seem happy, (do wish I had more room for them though it doesn't seem crowded.) and the corals that I have thrive. So, I think I will continue to do my weekly 10 gal. WC, seems to work well for me. Thanks so much again.

flower

Hi,

Just a word of caution, the inch per fish rule does not apply to saltwater tanks. With saltwater, some fish, regardless of size, may need lots of swim space and overcrowding will stress them out. Do your homework on each fish, make sure that the adult fish is going to be happy with the size tank you have. Be mindful of what fish you purchase, because not only do they need to get along together, but what you add will dictate what you can add later. These are the guidelines of how to stock your tank. Some fish are bottom of the tank dwellers, and others hang toward the middle or top of the tank.

As for water changes, the more often you do them, the less water you have to swap out... a daily 1 gallon water change will keep your tank looking great, and not require too much effort, 10 minutes tops. All you have to have is a holding tank for mixed saltwater that is kept moving via the utility pump....which requires space. A 3% monthly water change is perfectly okay, but then you have to mix the water, let it churn 24 hours before use, and the chore (depending on the tanks size) of removing and adding in the new water. A flex hose attached to the utility pump (that was churning your water) is very useful to save your back, and it speeds things up since they dump water pretty quick.

Jay...LOL... Your poor fish need some room to swim.

jay0705

Hi,

Just a word of caution, the inch per fish rule does not apply to saltwater tanks. With saltwater, some fish, regardless of size, may need lots of swim space and overcrowding will stress them out. Do your homework on each fish, make sure that the adult fish is going to be happy with the size tank you have. Be mindful of what fish you purchase, because not only do they need to get along together, but what you add will dictate what you can add later. These are the guidelines of how to stock your tank. Some fish are bottom of the tank dwellers, and others hang toward the middle or top of the tank.

As for water changes, the more often you do them, the less water you have to swap out... a daily 1 gallon water change will keep your tank looking great, and not require too much effort, 10 minutes tops. All you have to have is a holding tank for mixed saltwater that is kept moving via the utility pump....which requires space. A 3% monthly water change is perfectly okay, but then you have to mix the water, let it churn 24 hours before use, and the chore (depending on the tanks size) of removing and adding in the new water. A flex hose attached to the utility pump (that was churning your water) is very useful to save your back, and it speeds things up since they dump water pretty quick.

Jay...LOL... Your poor fish need some room to swim.
Lol flower its only a clown, dottyback, chromis, and pair of mandys in there.no big fish

wen tom

The table I looked at was SW. Too late for choosing the fish, they've been in there a few years, seem very content and are very healthy. Seem to all have their own space. HOWEVER, I do so wish I'd have done my own research 1st. I'm going to stay with the 10gal. Weekly and am looking into another tank. They are so comfortable with each in their little tank, I'm afraid of the switch over and stress or fatalities.

wen tom

Thank you both by the way, Yea, unfortunatly the tank was FW. Imforbis was telling me how she did hers. Putting in rock, sand (?) and sump with some sponges that had been staying in the sump and although her parameters did not stay right on everyone was OK. Quite an undertaking, scares me, need to know every step I'm going to take. Input welcome. This tank I'm looking at has a UV sterilizer? Good for SW or no?

Last edited:

jay0705

Uv is tricky. Some people like um. Others no. Seems more of a personal preference. If u use cured live rock, and if possible your old filter moving isn't bad. Filters hold alot of your bacteria you want

beaslbob

FWIW Here is a (hopefully) humorous thread I did on water changes.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/index.php?posts/3183747/
Despite the humor is does provide a more mathematical analysis.
To me the best thing is to balance out the tank so that things do not need water changes.
That is easily accomplished with the nitrogen cycle using macro algae.
with reef tank calcium, alk, and magnesium do have to be added (dosed) though.

my .02