Is white arogonite sand OK?

wen tom

Hi, no not a newbe but the tank I'm looking to switch to is currently FW. He has white arognite sand in it. Can it be cleaned and used? Thanks

wen tom

Yeah, he said his intention was SW but then found a cool stingray that he wanted so he switched after he purchased everything. What do you think of a UV sterilizer?

flower

LOL...I had to look it up, I never knew there was a freshwater stingray.

I like the white aragonite sand as well... I have been told that UV kills the tiny critters, I have heard of people turning them off at night when they would be more active swimming around, to protect them from the light. I never used one, it all sounded like too much bother and really did more harm than good. That statement is 100% based on other peoples opinions, since I have never used one.

bang guy

Yeah, he said his intention was SW but then found a cool stingray that he wanted so he switched after he purchased everything. What do you think of a UV sterilizer?
UV is good for controlling nuisance algae when you cannot control the nutrient levels in your system. It is not a good deterrent to parasite issues as they would have you believe. In my opinion there are better uses for the money.

chadd bednarz

I've been looking into purchasing a stingray for a 180 long I have. I recently heard it's a bad idea to get a blue spotted ray. It's gonna be a reef/ stingray hybrid tank and my question is what rays would be good for this tank and which one is more hardy and active that would be a good addition to this tank?

-thanks, Chadd