Which External Fiilter - Help Required Please.

tommyb1508

Having read a lot of your threads and thought advice was very fair and informative.

And have learned a lot... Thanks!

I have just joined and this will be my first post...so forgive if I go off track as it were!!!

I am in the middle of setting up my main display which will be FO saltwater tank.

Main Display Tank:
Approx.. 700ltrs after displacement and measure 60" l x 24" w x 30" h with 50"l x20"x16" sump. and separate ATO tank also.

It sits on a steel frame and I have just finished fitting cabinet doors and pelmet, along with tank background.

QT Tank:
Our house is not the largest and space is at a premium to be honest , but I want to setup a QT tank for all fish before I introduce to main display.

So I have managed to nab the cupboard under the stairs, for setting up a QT station. I plan on running this 24/7 for as long as it takes really.

I pickup the QT tank this Saturday nothing fancy, size: 36" long x 12" w x 12" h. so approx 90ltrs or so.
Hope this will be large enough?

Equipment Ordered:

I have on order, 1x 150w heater + a backup, 1 x 9w Aqua Medic Helix UV, 2 x Jebao WP10 and twin controller, 1 x Seneye home version, 1 x 200 Eheim Airpump and other stuff.
Boy its not cheap this game and this is only a qt tank!!!

Long Term Goal For QT Tank: - After all fish have been added to display tank:

Once I have purchased all the fish I want to have in the main display and after they have spent time in the QT tank...to be safe that all are well.
Calculating that this will take approx. 3-4wks for each fish and its a 60x24x30 display that's a fair few fish, so potentially it could take 1yr to stock the main display.
After which time our back garden will be finished with raised decking area complete with a small 3m x 4m summer house.
The plan is then to make/purchase a frame or cabinet to house the 36" QT tank and then turn into a FO display.
But again don't really want to run a sump on it.

Now here is my question for The Now QT Tank / Long Term FO Display please:/u>
Due to space restrictions I don't have room for hang on skimmer nor is there room under for a sump etc.
I do have an area were I can fit an external filter.....PLEASE DONT SAY NO!! I have no other choice.
I plan on doing regular cleaning etc. on the filter more so thank on the main display sump I am thinking.

Does the same go for external filters as I've heard for Skimmers....the biggest you can afford and fit within the sump?

I have narrowed it down to one of the following units: Or if you recommend a better one?!

Eheim pro 3 250 also know as 2071 :
has 2 trays one will be for filters and the other for media.
And it's for 120-250ltr tanks
with flow of 950ltrs per hour.
the other
Eheim pro 3 350 also know as the 2073 :
has 3 trays one for filters and leaves the other 2 baskets for your media.
And it's for 180-350ltr tanks
with a flow of 1,050 per hr.

I hope I have not put you all to sleep and posted this in the correct section.
And I look forward to your replies...
Thanking you all Cheers Tommy

geridoc

Wow, you have really done your homework! The only quibble I have is your use of an Eheim air pump. Marine systems don't use injected air, but rely on surface currents produced by powerheads and return pumps. Some have even predicted that a stream of air bubbles can produce problems with marine fish's gills - IDK, but I don't think the air pump is necessary. As to your qt, I have never run a major external filter on a qt. My current qt is a 20 gallon long tank, and it has one small hob on it and a small powerhead. Once the tank is cycled you really don't need a powerful external filter on a qt. Just my opinion, and I'm sure others here will disagree, but that's the fun of it.

tommyb1508

Many Thanks for your reply, most welcome.
I thought myself that the return spray bar via the return of the external filter would provide/create enough water surface friction for gaseous exchange, but many have told be that an air pump in a QT was a most?!
no room for a hang on skimmer ect. due to the where the QT is going I'm afraid, thus my dilemma in which external choice.
Later once complete with QT all fish and all are in main display the tank will go in the hopefully fished by them summer house so then the possibility of a sump or a HOB, or if I get a good enough external just now I just use everything I have bought just now!?
Yes so many options and so many differing person view, this is the major thing I've noticed what works for one person and ones tank, dose not work for another!!!
Oh the joys and this is just the QT tanks!
TOO SCARED to start a thread on the main display!!!
Thanks Tommy

3dees

air pumps are not needed and will only produce salt creep. with enough live rock you don't need a filter. they are nitrate factories unless cleaned very often, many people run skimmerless tanks. just keep up on your water changes. I have a Reef Octopus hob skimmer and it only requires about five inches of space between the tank and wall. use your pumps for surface agitation.