Submersible pump question

We are in the process of plumbing our 125g w/ 55g sump drilled tank with a closed loop system. Our overflow drains into 2-2" pipes that form a T and then drains to the sump. As of now, we have a submersible pump that runs 2400gph that is connected to the return pipe (1") that of course goes to the display tank. Is this 2400gph pump overkill? We are worried that the water will drain faster from the sump than it drains from the display tank. Does anyone know the math equations to accurately calculate what we need? I'm a microbiologist, not an engineer or physicist!!! So I have no idea how to do it! Thanks in advance!

silverado61

2quills is the expert on this so he would have to confirm this but if you install a ball valve in the return line, you can control how much water the return pump is sending to the display tank.
I'm guessing your total water volume is about 160 gallons with rock, sand and equipment displacement. Multiply that by 20 and you'll get the max amount that needs to be turned over between the sump and the tank. Yours would be about 3200gph. So, your return pump might be a little small but it should be enough if the sump is right under the display.
Again, 2quills should be the one to confirm this.

Thanks Silverado! So 2400gph vs 3200gph seems like a big difference. Do you think our pump will still cut it? We haven't tried putting water in the tank yet, and will soon, but I'm trying to think ahead of any problems we may encounter. And, I would love some input from 2quills too, since they have quite the reputation for sump knowledge!

silverado61

If you have a garage, I would suggest you set the tank and sump up in there, fill it with plain water and do a dry run ( So to speak. ) That way your able to tweek the system and check for leaks. Better to get your garage floor wet than your carpet.