what should i look for in a lighting system?

celbrise

I want to buy some lights for my aquarium to view my fish better and to grow corals and coralline algae problem is I don't know what to look for these specific things. I was going to go with LED's at first but they are too expensive for me. plus this isn't really a show tank. currently looking at t5's but other then that idk how much output to look for.

the tank is 55gals and 21inches deep. again I am looking to grow corals in this tank and also coralline algae.

jay0705

Honestly while led's are not cheap, there more energy efficient overall. Saving money there. It all depends on the types of corals you want. Lumes is the light output. There are a few diff light spectrums aswell

celbrise

i decided to buy t5 ho but sadly the only ones I can afford is 108watts total. im not looking for hardcore corals since im new to corals just beginning corals like mushrooms,zoa's,etc.. would 108watts be good enough to keep these?

flower

Hi,

I like T5s, they are affordable and make the fish colors pop... Check out the linkable ones made by Aquaticlife. That way you can upgrade as your budget allows, which is a huge plus. One unit will be good for mushrooms, and Kenya tree corals, two linked will be good for zoa, hammer, and bubble corals and if you go with 3 (the maximum) you can have LPS, not SPS or an anemone....it SAYS it can, but I wouldn't trust it for those.

Your SW tank is your show tank, it doesn't have to be expensive or fancy to look awesome.