help bring my 5yr old tank back to life

rcdude1990

Hey guys, new to the forums, the names victor ill start with a little background first

i have a 125 gallon tank that i had since oct 09. from 09-2013 ive always had it as a FOWLR, however january 2013 wanted to get into the reef game. i love soft corals (leathers, muchrooms, xenias ect.) corals that sway with the water and such.
so i did my research and bought some key things i believed i needed. so ill start with a equipment list.

125 gallon all glass non reef ready tank (using overflow box and u-tube)
~130-140lbs LR in display and ~10 LBS LR in sump
~100lbs Sand
(4) Aqua illumination Vega LED units with controller
ATO system
(2) MP40's
trigger systems Ruby 36s sump
reef octopus int-3000 protein skimmer
RO/DI unit

so in january i purchased the sump, protein skimmer, ATO, and led lighting( from 2009-2013 i was running a wet/dry with a small like DIY prtein skimmer which the fishtstore gave me and i was running t-5's) i did my research and many people said a sump is a must, RO/di and lighting are what you mostly ned.. the rest is all test kits and possibly dosings.

2009 (yes thats a xenia in the center lol friend of mine gave it to me for a "test" obviously i wasn't ready

March 2014

so i did the sump change and all, i have been busy with work since april til now so i havent paid much attention to tank but i did my routine bi-weekly 10 gallon water changes.
but now im back and going to be more focused on tank.

so lets start with the basics i guess on somethings i have noticed from lets say since the change.

#1 i for some reason cant keep chaeto alive, i dont understand why (test parameters will be written on a later post tonight once i get home i will test water)
ive gone through 2 sandwhich bags full of chaeto.. below is the current one in the tank sorry for lame picture lol. it was bigger than it is now. ive gotten people telling me "it needs to tumble and be free in the water to float around" some others have said "try to put it in a basket and leave it close to the light" so first 2 sandwhich bags i have tried to let it tumble and they just disintergrated. this is have left in the basket.. its been "alive" for a good 5 months but its slowly getting smaller and smaller.

#2 about a month ago i started noticing these algae growing on my sand bed. i would usually just comb the sand bed and it would be gone.. however now i comb the sand bed and it comes bad very quickly "within like 2 days". ive asked if its that algae that starts with a "C" (cant remember name right now as i type lol) but people have told me its to light to be that.. people thought it was diatoms but it looks too dark. again parameters coming soon. an help as far as getting rid of this would be great

#3 i see everyones sump and its all nice and clean but mine is dirty lol should i scrape the insides and such? leave the algae on the walls? inside the sump i have 3 large pieces of LR, and those 3 pieces do have a black algae on them (ill try to take a pic).. so this little area has the ball of chaeto.. the flood light right over it... and the heater. to the right is the return pump and i also have a BRS dual media reactor which i currently do not have running. i previously have had it running carbon and gfo but i suddenly saw this algae break out so i said maybe thats whats causing it?

#4 is basically the main thing which is me filling this tank up with soft corals.. easy corals to keep. i love corals that sway with the water. right now my green mushrooms are blooming like crazy they grow and grow. my finger leather has gotten a little bit smaller but i just recently moved it so maybe it needs time to open up. about a month ago i got another green leather and its blooming and open like crazy. i currently dont dose the tank at all.. if i have to i will ill be happ to take some time out of my days and dose if it will look as beautiful as other members reefs on this site.
it just stinks when you hear people say like "yea xenia and GSP are easy to take care of.. and then its like put them in my tank and they die within a month -_-.. AND... it sucks t hear "oh your water might be to clean -_- i feel like i cant win haha

flower

Hi,

It's a beautiful tank, and I really like your rock work. Sumps get ugly, it's called maturing. It stays under the stand and holds our equipment...it isn't meant to be good looking. Mine only looked nice for the first 3 months. what is important is that everything works like it's supposed to. Other then cleaning the sediment on the bottom, and wiping up any salt creep, leave it alone. LOL...I think those pictures you refer to are when the sumps were first installed....it's always real pretty when it's brand new.

You should have a grow light on your macros, if it's under the stand away from natural lighting....a light bulb is not good enough. JMO

LOL...I hate chaeto, it breaks apart and gets into everything when it goes sexual. You might try a different macro, I like the caulerpa prolifea myself, because it looks like turtle grass... but since this is not in your display (fish will eat it up, so your macros must be in a refugium)... maybe try some ulva, amphipods love it, and your fish will enjoy eating the amphipods that breed in it and get swept into the display. Check out "Golf Coast Ecosystems". Yes the refugium must have light, flow, and whatever is in your water as bad stuff for it to be able to grow.

The red "algae" is not algae, it's cyanobacteria. It means you have too many nutrients in the water, and that area of the sand isn't getting enough flow to it, and it's settling there. You would not have it at all if you didn't have it's favorite growth food...phosphates and nitrates. Which you wouldn't have if your macros were growing properly. It's a vicious cycle isn't it?

I would be afraid of a CUC in the sump where snails can clog stuff up. I see you have a basket, not a traditional refugium.

rcdude1990

Hi,

It's a beautiful tank, and I really like your rock work. Sumps get ugly, it's called maturing. It stays under the stand and holds our equipment...it isn't meant to be good looking. Mine only looked nice for the first 3 months. what is important is that everything works like it's supposed to. Other then cleaning the sediment on the bottom, and wiping up any salt creep, leave it alone. LOL...I think those pictures you refer to are when the sumps were first installed....it's always real pretty when it's brand new.

You should have a grow light on your macros, if it's under the stand away from natural lighting....a light bulb is not good enough. JMO

LOL...I hate chaeto, it breaks apart and gets into everything when it goes sexual. You might try a different macro, I like the caulerpa prolifea myself, because it looks like turtle grass... but since this is not in your display (fish will eat it up, so your macros must be in a refugium)... maybe try some ulva, amphipods love it, and your fish will enjoy eating the amphipods that breed in it and get swept into the display. Check out "Golf Coast Ecosystems". Yes the refugium must have light, flow, and whatever is in your water as bad stuff for it to be able to grow.

The red "algae" is not algae, it's cyanobacteria. It means you have too many nutrients in the water, and that area of the sand isn't getting enough flow to it, and it's settling there. You would not have it at all if you didn't have it's favorite growth food...phosphates and nitrates. Which you wouldn't have if your macros were growing properly. It's a vicious cycle isn't it?

I would be afraid of a CUC in the sump where snails can clog stuff up. I see you have a basket, not a traditional refugium.
so what can i possibly do to make it a "traditional refge.. i bought the sump for that square to be a refuge. ive seen people do sand beds and some do bare.. so lets turn that LR and backet holder into a refuge. much help would be great! that little section currently has the 3 pieces of LR, a maxi jet and the heater is placed there.

now i noticed you said "sediment at the bottom" now whats the best way to clean that up??? i was going to take a wet/dry vac to it but i dont wanna suck up all 36gallons of the water lol

i believe i will have to start doing week;y 10 gallon water changes to help this process

rcdude1990

opinions on a algea scrubber?
seems like a few cheap diy's with great results.. might make a stop to store tomorrow and pick up supplies

geridoc

I am also a member of the "can't grow chaeto no matter what I try" club. I think some people are just destined to be lifetime members of this exclusive club, and you seem to be joining. In a week or two you will receive an email with our secret handshake:D. Seriously, I cannot grow chaeto, and have resorted to using algae scrubbers to good effect. I produce tons of disposable algae weekly while my water parameters remain pristine. Depending on how much money you want to throw at the job, you can build a relatively inexpensive scrubber yourself, or you can buy ready-made fairly foolproof units online. For a larger tank like yours a ready-built unit might be less work and risk. I agree with Flower - the reddish algae on the sand is cyanobacteria, which are a symptom of excess nutrients in the water and slow water movement. You can kill cyano with antibiotics, but the wiser way is to be patient and fix the nutrient and flow problems, then sit back and wait for the cyano to go away. It will.

rcdude1990

I am also a member of the "can't grow chaeto no matter what I try" club. I think some people are just destined to be lifetime members of this exclusive club, and you seem to be joining. In a week or two you will receive an email with our secret handshake:D. Seriously, I cannot grow chaeto, and have resorted to using algae scrubbers to good effect. I produce tons of disposable algae weekly while my water parameters remain pristine. Depending on how much money you want to throw at the job, you can build a relatively inexpensive scrubber yourself, or you can buy ready-made fairly foolproof units online. For a larger tank like yours a ready-built unit might be less work and risk. I agree with Flower - the reddish algae on the sand is cyanobacteria, which are a symptom of excess nutrients in the water and slow water movement. You can kill cyano with antibiotics, but the wiser way is to be patient and fix the nutrient and flow problems, then sit back and wait for the cyano to go away. It will.
Ugh i guess i gotta crank up the speed on the mp40s i guess... I have 2 maxi jets on the corners of the tank too... Im jus very afraid if i put them too close to the sand bed one of the suction cups will give way and next thing ya no i have a snow storm in the tank

I will be doing weekly water changes and i hope itll fix the problem... Any link to these already made scrubbers?

rcdude1990

ok tested water..
salinity = 1.025
ammonia = 0
nitrite=0
ph=8.2
nitrates = 10
Calcium = 480-500mg/l (ppm)
KH = 143.2ppm
phosphate = .5

silverado61

Just google "algae scrubbers" and you'll get more links than you'll know what to do with. Building your own is more fun though.

BTW: I still think it could be dino.

rcdude1990

looks fairly simple to make... i see people using red leds... should i do that? i have many car auto leds and i have many red led strips maybe i can wire like 3 strips or even cover the whole entire take out container?
also any ideas on what dimensions i should look into making the scrubber? if it was me i would put the biggest piece i can lol but i dont wanna overkill it

geridoc

Ugh i guess i gotta crank up the speed on the mp40s i guess... I have 2 maxi jets on the corners of the tank too... Im jus very afraid if i put them too close to the sand bed one of the suction cups will give way and next thing ya no i have a snow storm in the tank

I will be doing weekly water changes and i hope itll fix the problem... Any link to these already made scrubbers?
My scrubbers come from Turbo's Aquatics. He's an electrical engineer who makes these on the side.

rcdude1990

i just picked up a 99c black contair which looks like a boston market take out thing... id say about 10-11 inches tall and prob like 5 inches wide

silverado61

Your going to need another one of those if you decide to build an upflow scrubber. One on the inside of the fuge to grow the algae, one on the outside to contain the light. There are so many different designs for scrubbers. There are waterfall scrubbers but you need a lot of room for that one because it goes above the fuge. There are upflow scrubbers that go on the inside/outside of the fuge, those are the ones I personally like. Then there scrubbers that float in your fuge but you need a pretty good size fuge for that one. It all depends on how much room you have and how elaborate you want to get.

geridoc

what color leds does yours have? how many? and whats size of scrubber and size of your tank?
Take a look at Turbo's web site. He has full specs on LEDs, sizing, screen manufacture, etc. He uses a mix of red and blue LEDs in a double - sided config.

rcdude1990

Just ordered a par 38 bulb red/blue... Gonna do a up flow ats hopefully up and running on friday :)
For now tho i did pick up a diamond goby and hes doing a very good job at keeping my sand nice and clean. Water change coming up sunday :)