hippo tangs

jay0705

Ok folks. I have a few ? About the blue hippo. First are they supp to look so thin? Every one I see 2-5" all seem thin, is this normal? My yellow, and kole all where and def are now a bit thicker. I ask bc its stopped me from getting one. There beautiful fish, but is this normal, are they just a more stream lined tang?

flower

Hi,

LOL... Flat as a pancake is indeed normal. Get the fish only if it's the right size tank...100+. Rehoming the fish is a huge pain in the butt. They go completely flat under the rocks, and you will catch the fish after you have removed the last one. They are easy to be stressed, and if you have the ich parasite in your system, it will be the first to show signs. When the fish is first brought home it's stressed from the move, if the origin tank had the parasite...then is when the ich spots will show up, quarantining the fish is the best thing to do. People call them ich magnets, but that's because they stress so easy, and become susceptible to the parasite.

flower

LOL...They are so good at hiding in the rocks, and they get really big. The beauty of the Hippo Tang is why I got into saltwater...it was my must have fish.

jay0705

Agreed. Even small there nice looking. Plus they dont lose color as they mature. I picked up a couple fish yest, was totally eyeing up the 2 hippos they had lol. Just cant pull the trigger yet lol