What do I need before i buy anthing(other then stand and light)

dangerfish

Instant Ocean SeaClone Protein Skimmer

API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit

Fluval Sea Hydrometer

Tank

Aqueon QuietFlow Aquarium Power Filters

Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heaters

Aquatic Fundamentals 75 Gallon Upright Aquarium Stand (already got)

Led lights 40.00 Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light (already got)

***** Thermometer with Suction Cup

Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Marine Pellet

Gamma Frozen Food Mysis Shrimp Blister Pack Fish Food

Ocean Nutrition Green Marine Algae Fish Food

Omega One Super Veggie Green Seaweed

Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand

Fiji Premium Live Rock

salt

mauler

I've heard bad things about seaclone and api test kit. I also think since you want to do a reef tank you should get a refractormeter. You'll also need an RO/DI unit if you don't have one. And if you want to go with HOBs get an aquaclear 110

geridoc

You need a smaller tank to be a quarantine. It can be simple, but it is as important as any other piece of equipment because sooner or later you are going to acquire a fish with some kind of parasite or infection that will kill all of your fish. Then you will be on this site asking what happened, why did your fish die? Newbees invariably don't want to spend the $$$ on a quarantine, and experienced aquariasts wouldn't be without one.

flower

Instant Ocean SeaClone Protein Skimmer

API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit

Fluval Sea Hydrometer

Tank

Aqueon QuietFlow Aquarium Power Filters

Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heaters

Aquatic Fundamentals 75 Gallon Upright Aquarium Stand (already got)

Led lights 40.00 Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light (already got)

***** Thermometer with Suction Cup

Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Marine Pellet

Gamma Frozen Food Mysis Shrimp Blister Pack Fish Food

Ocean Nutrition Green Marine Algae Fish Food

Omega One Super Veggie Green Seaweed

Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand

Fiji Premium Live Rock

salt
Hi,

Welcome to the site. A quarantine is very simple to set up, and it's a good idea to set it up at the same time you set the display.
  • A small tank 10g to 20g (paint the bottom outside a dark color, or set the tank on a dark surface or towel)
  • HOB filter
  • air line w/pump (NO STONE)
  • a piece of PVC, or plastic décor, so the fish can hide and feel secure.
  • Attach the air line to the décor/PVC via rubberband, to hold it to the bottom of the tank.
  • A stick on the side thermometer. (suction cups get brittle in SW, and won't hold for long)

And for equipment, you need at least two power heads, there is less oxygen in saltwater, the wave is the life of the ocean, and your SW tank. You made some basic equipment "not so good choices", but for now what you have already purchased will do. How much live rock did you get? You need good quality water... either your own RO (reverse osmosis) unit, or purchase your water from a grocery store with a refill station. Don't use tap or well water. Depending on what you plan to keep in the tank will determine if the lights are good enough.

As already mentioned, a refractometer is much better then the hydrometer. However I kept a reef for over 10 years before I ever even heard of a refractometer, and they can only be found on-line. I have yet to see one for sale in a fish or pet store.

Once you set up your tank, you need to kick start the cycle... there are several methods to do that... PLEASE DON"T USE A LIVE FISH. Rather use...a chunk of raw shrimp, ghost feed flake food for a few weeks, or use pure ammonia.

IMO...the pellet food was a waste of your money, it's the worst food for polluting your tank. You won't need a skimmer for months after the tank is up and running. API test kits on nitrates run 4Xs higher then other kits, and causes undue worry regarding them, so I would at least purchase another brand of test kit for the nitrates..

dangerfish

So what im hearing is set up a quarantine system, get a refractometer, a different test kit, don't get pellet food, probably buy ocean water, and don't use a thermometer with a suction cup. And how will I connect this all so I use pvc pipe or what.