Stock question?

kopczynski

Disclaimer: This is a general question I am not asking about my specific system, im just curious. Does whether the tank is a reef or FOWLR have any effect on how many fish or how many inches of fish can be in a system?

mauler

Not really but with coral in the tank your water has to be more pristine than FOWLR tanks that's why reef tanks generally have less fish but if you have a 180 gallon tank you can stock it with any fish that can live in a 180 whether it's a reef or FOWLR as long as the fish are reef safe if it is a reef.

trigger40

yes i say it does. in a fish only you can have a heavy bio load with imperfect water and be ok. but with a reef tank you cant have too many fish unlike the fowlr because you haft to keep perfect water. if you know what i am saying.

1guydude

Depends on the person IMO. We r all different....
Some ppl don't even run a filter...just wc
D

kopczynski

So basically if i am only going to keep a few hardy corals like zoas and maybe a toadstool or something, i could stock like its a FOWLR tank with reef safe fish? If so ho many inches of fish in a 60 gallon? I know that in some cases there are exceptions because some fish stay in the rocks like a black cap basslet and others are free swimmers like a starcki damsel (however for some reason mine has doug a cave under a pice of lr that he sleeps in). And all though im not running a sump i have a fluval 406 and a skimmer rated for a 100 gallon tank.

mauler

The inch rule doesn't really work that well it's better to just list what fish you do have and what fish you want to add.
I think your filtration is good enough. Also what kind of lights are you using?

kopczynski

I have a current marine usa orbit led (48inches). And if I added no corals to the system could i do like 45 inches of fish?

mauler

Your lights should be fine for soft coral, lps and some sps. I think it's easier to just tell us what fish you want to put in.

jay0705

Lol agreed. Size really isnt whats its about. Its temperament, swim behavior, adult size, and tank mates

kopczynski

no puffers the biggest fish i am planning is a kole tang. And i dont think i will add any messy eaters but ill run my list by u guys:
2 Blood Orange Clowns
1 kole tang
1 tail spot blenny
1 Twin spot goby
1 midas blenny
1 ruby red dragonet
1 starcki damsel
1 black cap basslet
1 gold assessor basset
1 four line wrasse
1 lemonpeel
Possibly a coral beauty or a flame angel or both, that will be added last at the same time as the lemonpeel

Would this work as a reef or would i have to do fowlr?

mauler

That's a lot for a 60 gallon tank you better have one beefed up filtration system planned if you want to make it a reef

jay0705

Agreed, in that small of a tank you will have issues w the kole and angels. All get aggressive when cramped

Aussie

Kole tang won't be your biggest prob ...... You have between 3 and 4 algae eaters, in the angels and tangs. Personally you might want to rethink the angels side, 75 gal you might be able to get away with two angels, coral beauty's are a great fish to have but flames pop. Your other prob might be the dragnet.... How old is the system and do you have a refuge to breed pods...... Basslets and dotty backs are sweet looking colours but you can only have one, they will fight, and damsels can be out right mean. Also what order are you adding the fish the more aggressive fish should be added last and if you do go with two angels add them together at the same time, better chance they will get along... Same with tangs

Spinach will be the tangs and I know coral beauty's fav food I add it to a clip and stick it on the glass ..... But turbos snails love it too.

Fish that you might consider replacement is maybe drop the lemonpell angel go for a anthias to swap out a algae eater for a carnivore ... .. Only thing they need 3 to 4 feeds a day and jump