Aren't Yellow Tangs supposed to school?

ClaptonsGhost

I know from past experience that Yellow Tangs are aggressive and territorial. But I'd read on more than one occasion (and NOT in Reader's Digest) that if you put Yellow Tangs in a tank in odd numbers, say 3 or 5, they will school.

I have a 180 gallong FOWLR. For the first 4 or 5 days the tangs did get along and school. Suddenly starting yesterday, they've been viciously attacking each other. What once were 3 pristine tangs are now one pristine and two shredded fin tangs, which pizzes me off!!!

What's the deal? I was going to add angels to my tank first, then put in a yellow tang later. But, no, I had to listen to local experts who said to put the tangs in first.

So, what's the deal with Yellow Tangs? btw, they're not bothering anything else in the tank, just each other.

jay0705

Tangs can get along. Doesnt mean they will. Some people say feeding them enough seaweed helps w aggression

candaceswf

Administrator
Tangs generally don't like other fish that look the same as them. I've seen groups of the same tangs together not show any signs of aggression, but there were atleast 8 of them. Personally, I don't believe that having 4 of the same tangs would be any different than having 3 or 5.

bang guy

Yes, Yellow Tangs are a shoaling fish. They get along perfectly together in open water where they can maintain their personal space. If you have a tank where a group of Yellow Tangs can maintain a two to three foot distance from the other Tangs they will likely shoal peacefully.

ClaptonsGhost

My tank is a 180, 6 ft. long with a lot of hiding spaces, but the aggressive one will go out of his way to seek out the other two. One usually gets away but the other one tries to put up a fight. The most aggravating thing about this is I KNEW better, but decided when I got my tank back up and running this time I would listen to the local "experts". Grrrrr..... thanks for the info, fellas.

bang guy

Yeah, with an active swimmer like a Yellow they're going to get on each others nerves in a tank that's only two feet wide. It's not a small tank by any means but you can see that they can't swim anywhere without invading each others space. That's all they are doing is trying to maintain their personal space.

ClaptonsGhost

Right now the light is off but it's bright enough in the room for them to see clearly. All three are huddled next to each other with only an occasional nudge. I can't understand why they go nuts once the aquarium lights are on. (LED's in case that matters).

The tank is split in half lengthwise by my live rock so they have basically 2 six foot lanes to swim in. They're purposely getting in each other's faces.

jay0705

My yellow is semi intrested I call it, w most new fish. I have little doubt he would not tolerate another tang. Yet gets along great w my fox face.
I see them together at lfs all the time, but once they get settled in the territorial issues start

ClaptonsGhost

Yeah, Jay, that's what fooled me. They were in a tank with 5 other Yellow Tangs and all getting along. I actually picked these three because they hung out together. Little bastards...

Candace, I can't. I have a bad back, had to have the LFS guys put the rock in after installing the new plumbing (luckily they did a great job). I just put two bags of ChemiPure into the socks going to the sump and may need major surgery just for that simple chore.

ClaptonsGhost

Emperor Angel (about 5-6"), a percula clown (2"), 3 humbugs (those black and white striped damsels, about 1/2") 2 Green Chromis (1" each), a Fire Shrimp, 3 hermit crabs, and an emerald crab, currently missing.

jay0705

Hmm, do u like rabbit fish? The fox or one spot are great fish, mix well w tangs. Idk if another large fish would help w aggression. I do know a tang and fox will wrk tho

ClaptonsGhost

My next fish on the list is a Majestic Angel. I plan on a Fox Face Rabbit Fish down the line, but I want to complete my Angels first. Then a Naso Tang and Powder Blue Tang. Those are more docile than Yellows. After that I'll add a few fish I've never kept before. I could have added the Majestic today, but I'm waiting a week. Added the Chemi Pure Elite and keeping my fingers crossed that the negative ions do their job.

jay0705

Ah very good. Dont count on the naso and blue being docile tho. I had a kole almost kill a coral beauty. It really is a crap shoot.

ClaptonsGhost

I've had many Naso's over the years and they've all been docile. One of my favorite fish. Kole Tang's I've never really cared for so I won't be getting one. I like Achilles Tang's too but they seem to have gotten more difficult to keep now, and far more expensive than other Tang's. Here's a link to my tank as it looks right now, if anybody's interested.

jay0705

Very nice, I take it this was before the tangs got aggressive. Also this site has a good deal on naso tangs currently

ClaptonsGhost

This was actually the day before. It really happened from one day to the next, no buildup, just sudden insane aggression.

As for the Naso, there is no way I'm ordering fish online. I would be too skittish handling the acclimation. But I'll check it out. My LFS has them for $75 bucks.

Where do I find the deals? I only see one post and it has nothing to do with Naso's.

btw, very slick forum software!