Fish are calm, swimming, happy, until....

ClaptonsGhost

I put freakin' food in the tank. Then they HIDE! Like they never saw food before. It's so strange. They're constantly looking for food until I throw some in (mysis shrimp in this case), then they all go behind the rocks and cower in fear until the food settles to the bottom of the tank, and even then they hide for another 10 minutes and come out all skittish and wary of predators. What's the deal? They were fine yesterday during the feeding. They're normally fine and happy looking the rest of the time. They didn't do this when I fed them brine shrimp and spinach.

jay0705

Do u have kids or pets? I can always tell if the dogs where running around like nuts bc the fish are spooked for a bit.

ClaptonsGhost

No pets, just my son who's 21 and doesn't "run around the house" ;-)

No, as I said they were fine, swimming, getting along, foraging for food. I walked up to the tank, still all cool, I poured the mysis shrimp into the tank and THEN they scampered to the back and acted all spooked. Now, having just gotten home, they're back to normal. I'll try feeding them brine shrimp later and see what happens.

flower

LOL... Try and think of it like a fish see's it... A huge shadow (your body) covers the front of the ocean they live in, natural survival instinct says HIDE and don't come out until it's safe!!!!. They have not yet associated you with food yet, once they do...every time you come close to the tank they will come out looking for food.

candaceswf

Administrator
That's so interesting! Maybe they don't like the smell/taste (whatever it would be to them lol) of the new food.... How long have you had them for?

ClaptonsGhost

Believe it or not yesterday made two weeks that the tank is up. Water quality is perfect. Tank is cycled. Had most of the fish for a week. Added a Majestic and Queen Angel yesterday. All fish were acclimated nicely and they came up to me when they saw me by the tank. Like I said, everything was perfect until I dropped a little mysis shrimp in the tank. Then all hell broke loose. I also have 3 yellow tangs (another story altogether), a percula clown, 6 damsels and a Fire Shrimp. Right now they're all happily swimming around eating the food that fell to the bottom of the tank before.

It really has nothing to do with new tank/strange guy standing outside. I've done this for decades. I know unusual behavior when I see it. I'll report back after the next feeding tomorrow.

mauler

Well it could they aren't used to you yet 2 weeks isn't that long and it could also be the addition of 2 aggressive fish. And are you sure your tanks cycled that's a lot of high bioload fish to add in just 2 weeks if I were you I'd check my water daily

ClaptonsGhost

I do, water is perfect. It peaked and now ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, etc. Just now I stood by the tank for a minute or so. Nobody cared, they kept swimming like I wasn't even there. I dropped a piece of seaweed into the tank and boom, off they went, behind the rocks, peaking out in fear. Afraid of food. Unbelievable.

ClaptonsGhost

Nothing. Like I said, this morning, before I put the food in, the tank was spectacular. I even texted my brother about how amazing it looked and what a great show the fish were putting on.

mauler

Don't judge the whole site off me I'm by no means an expert I'm still a newbie myself. But since you say nothing's changed other than the addition of the angels my guess is there scared of the angels or you. I've had my tang for a little over a month and sometimes he's scared to come out of his cave. Some things we just can't explain fish are weird.

ClaptonsGhost

Please note my winky face. And it's the whole tank, including the angels, who go into hiding, when literally a few seconds before I tossed the food in they were swimming like they didn't have a care in the world.

And now, to make things even weirder, the Majestic and Queen only come out and swim when they SEE ME!!! If I hide off to the side and look at the tank, they swim around behind the rocks. As soon as they can see me they come out and swim. They don't look at me like fish do when they think you're gonna feed them. They mind their own business but they do it in front of the rocks. I don't remember fish acting this weird before.

flower

Hi,

When I feed my fish, I stand back and watch them feed from across the room. Otherwise they are too shy to come out. New fish, LARGER fish will dominate the tank and get the good food first, so the fish could be just afraid of the new boss.

flower

LOL ... sometimes I feel like something is watching me. I look over my shoulder at the tank I have in my bedroom as I sit at my desk... and the seahorse is just right there looking at me, it eye tilts up and stars me right in face.