magnificent foxface

geridoc

Peaceful, herbivorous, venomous. Needs a fairly decent sized tank (125 minimum, IMHO). Makes a good companion in an aggressive tank because most of the aggressive fish will leave this venomous fish alone. From what I have seen of these at lfs, they seem to vary in the quality of their coloration, some being very dark, others more bright. Of course, this could be individual variation, or just fish under different levels of stress.

mauler

What about bioload are they a heavy bioload or not so much and one should be fine with tangs and a trigger?

geridoc

As herbivores, they aren't too messy eaters (certainly not in the same league as a trigger in terms of mess), and as adults are about 7-9 inches long, so they aren't the biggest, so no, not a heavy bioload IMHO.

geridoc

Yes, they can inflict fatal stings, after all, that's why they have the spines to begin with. Do they actually kill other fish? - not unless they are being seriously harassed, but most other fish know not to bother rabbit fishes, and rabbit fishes don't go out of their way to annoy tankmates. Just be careful yourself that when you are doing tank maintenance you know where the foxface is at all times since their sting can be painful.

mauler

From what I've read it's like a bee sting. I'm kinda on the fence about getting one now I've been reading post after post of people adding a foxface and then one of there fish ends up dead the next day

jay0705

I have a fox w 11 other fish, clowns, tang, coral beauty, gobys, fire fish, mandarin, royal gramma, wrasse. All co exist fine. The tang harassed the fox when I put him in. The fox put the spines up and stayed in place. The tang backed off. Fish know what fish to avoid. Now feeding time is crazy, the tang, fox, wrasse, and cb all charge in for food, never has anybody gotten stung

jay0705

I read the same stuff as u. It killed my fish!!!! . Hes over yr old now has never hurt me or other fish. He actually pins the spines down when other fish touch him. Unless there being aggressive. The tang originally. I would trust a fox w any fish. I prob have $500 worth of fish w him. I wouldn't hesitant to get another if I had another tank big enough

jay0705

One thing I should add. When first added they are scared, they sit in the tank spines up until they are adjusted. Its when they are new I think most accidents happen. So either add early in your stocking or add w lights off.

mauler

Well he's probably gonna be the last addition to the tank and possibly even the biggest fish in the tank could his size be a problem

mauler

Yeah its 130g I'm talking about the fact that he's gonna be bigger than my tangs and trigger could that be a problem

jay0705

Lol no, hes bigger than all my fish.I have a one spot. There not aggressive at all. I have a clown goby w mine aswell. The frozen I feed is almost the same size as the goby he doesnt bother it.