reef crystals

bang guy

No, you can't use a PO4 reactor as a calcium reactor.

Limewater is lime (calcium hydroxide) dissolved in water.

bang guy

Some grocery stores sell lime. Agricultural stores sell it, and I've used it from there but it's not as pure as food grade. Many fish stores sell an overpriced lime under the label "kalkwasser".

You need to mix the lime with water to make limewater. It shouldn't be added to your tank in quantity to prevent PH and/or Alkalinity spikes. It should be slowly dripped to match Alkalinity consumption as close as possible.

This site sells lime as well ---> https://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-seachem-reef-kalkwasser

Last edited:

jeffk

I've stopped using reef crystals and use regular Instant Ocean. Instead of limewater, I use dowflake for calcium and epsom salts for magnesium. Some will argue against this, but I've had great success.

eric b 125

I'm glad you're satisfied with your decision. I've not used those alternatives myself, however I would give it more time before considering it a success. I'm not sure what conservative and non-conservative elements are in those things but you have a slow accumulation of unfavorable elements. I wonder: is the cost savings b/w reef crystals and your method worth the extra effort?

jeffk

I've already considered it a success. I've been dosing with dowflake and epsom salts for over 2 years now. I learned of these techniques from a, now, friend of mine who deals with high end corals, who has decades more experience than I do. I feel I have more control over the levels. As far as price goes....no comparison. Last time I bought either epsom salts or dowflake was well over a year ago. 50 pounds of dowflake, is enough to dose a tank, well, who knows how many times, is around $15. Epsom salts is available at your local Walmart very cheap. From what I have seen, calcium and magnesium are the main differences between reef crystals and regular instant ocean. I'm not trying to create waves with what I do with my tank, just trying to give my opinion on what has worked for me. Through careful listening and observation, I have been able to enjoy this hobby for much less money than most. It's a lot like cell phones. A lot of people have the latest iPhone as a status symbol, but my old android makes and receives phone calls and cost a lot less.

bang guy

That sounds like a good alternative if that price is common.

Where is all the excess Sulphur going?

What are you using for Carbonate?

flower

I liked the reef crystals, but I no longer keep a reef, so I went with just regular ole Instant Ocean salt mix. The only thing I dose is alkalinity buffers and calcium if the tests say they are low.

ddao1977

I stopped using reef crystals. i have a 2 year old tank ... I swapped sometime last year from instant ocean to reef crystal and got an outbreak of cyano.... a real bad one. I moved back to instant ocean, slowly small water changes and the cyano went away. friends who used it to got some bad outbreaks too.
I agree with others; if you have a calc reactor there is no need to speed the extra money on salt. get an extra coral instead :D

SPS NUT

I'VE BEEN USING REEF CRYSTAL FOR 6 YRS, GOT A BAD BATCH AND NEVER WENT BACK , USING TROPIC MARIN PRO NOW.. I DO MISS THE PRICE OF REEF CRYSTALS