Before I get an anemone

dangerfish

I am planning on getting a bubble anemone and 2 ocellaris clownfish and I've been told that its really hard to keep a anemone and I was wondering what should I do and know before I get a anemone.

flower

Hi,

LOL...An anemone is just a very pretty mouth and anus, without a brain. They need bright light and near perfect water quality. Cover all power heads and intake tubes, they follow the water flow, and will get sucked up into them, and poison everything in the tank as they die. This also creates the need to watch for clogs, and clear the covering often.

You can't place them where you want them, they will find their own happy spot....which is usually where you are not happy. There is no guarantee that the clown fish and the anemone will host, the anemone has to settle in the clowns territory, or the clowns will ignore it...also if the clowns like a piece of rock better, or any other silly thing they attach to emotionally.

Oh, and they will eat any critter stupid enough to get too close, shrimp, snails and other fish. What they don't eat, they sting to death. If the clowns do attach to the anemone, they will chase these things away from it.

geridoc

Flower speaks the truth. In this photo one of my peppermint shrimp ventured too close to my RBTA, and...20130422_092123.jpg

dangerfish

well im getting a more aggresive tank now such as triggers, eels, lionfish and was wandering could I still put an anemone in that.

flower

well im getting a more aggresive tank now such as triggers, eels, lionfish and was wandering could I still put an anemone in that.
Look up each one and see if they are "reef safe"...I have never kept any of those fish, so I have no idea. I'm pretty sure the lionfish would be okay, but I'm not positive.

dangerfish

heres my list of fish
green mandarin goby
flame angel
six line wrasse
bicolor angelfish
pearlscale butterfly fish

then after years go by and my green mandarin goby passes away i get

pinkface wrasse
snowflake eel
humu picasso triggerfish( still debating)
antenna lionfish