Snake's comeback - 55g mixed reef

snakeblitz33

I graduated college and now I'm working full time. We are starting to finally have some decent disposable income again, and instead of working on a motorcycle, I decided to do something that I actually know a thing or two about. Lol.

So, I'm getting a bunch of my old equipment out that I kept. It's still good stuff.

And so it begins,...

This is the corner I'm putting it in the kitchen.

flower

YAYYY!!! I knew it wouldn't take long...congratulations on graduation, and the new job!

snakeblitz33

Lol, I remodled that table. Did it myself. It's really easy if you want to take the time to do it.

Flower, thanks for the 'grats. I decided to be a full time taxidermist even after getting a degree.

flower

Lol, I remodled that table. Did it myself. It's really easy if you want to take the time to do it.

Flower, thanks for the 'grats. I decided to be a full time taxidermist even after getting a degree.
It doesn't matter, you still accomplished getting the degree, and that's praise worthy in my book. Can I assume you enjoy taxidermy? If that's the case...being able to do what you love to do for a living, is priceless. You are a pretty awesome person, you bring a lot to the people around you, and you deserve the pat on the back. Now keep us posted on that new set up.

geridoc

Welcome back, Seth! I didn't really think that you could stay away for very long. And, congratulations on graduating - it is an accomplishment to be proud of.

snakeblitz33

Awe, thanks guys and gals, I really appreciate all the pats on the back.

To add to everything, I've also lost 13 pounds this month - and getting healthier - my goal is to drop almost 100lbs within a years time.... and I'm well underway.

--

My plan for the stand is basic... I'm using two sheets of 3/4" plywood to build both the stand and the canopy. Since the 20g long is almost the exact width as the 55g, I have to get a little creative. Nothing I can't handle. I will be painting this stand and canopy in the reverse of the coffee table. My wife has creative freedom over the décor.

I have a bunch of old equipment that I will be using -

5 stage RO/DI unit - I will be revamping and adding extra things to - this is my first goal, since I also want drinking water instead of buying bottled water.

refractometer, nets, various little things, small pumps, etc.

I have no lighting system for it. I think I want to go with a couple of Chinese black boxes.

I'm just going to do a foam block and some macroalgae to start my filtration off with. And I'm planning on 20g monthly water changes.

I am looking to buy:

2x WP25 jaebo powerheads
Eshoppes 75g in-sump skimmer or something similar with Reef Octopus.
48" Photon LED unit from Reef Breeders - customized.
two little fishies kalkwasser stirrer.
Aqualifter pump
Glass HOles overflow 700gph
1" flex tubing
Quiet one pump to match the overflow
crushed coral
course sand

I'm going to use the KISS method to this tank.

eric b 125

Aww man... I just threw out two GH 700gph overflow kits w/ the hole saws! Too bad an MP10wES won't be enough for that tank... I'll be tearing down my temporary frag tank soon and will be getting rid of all the components.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this 55. You don't see too many nice standard 55 gallon reefs but I'm sure you'll come through with something great. I see a real delicate, tall aquascape, no?

snakeblitz33

Awe.. thanks for thinking about me Eric.

No, you don't see a lot of decent looking 55g tanks because of the width. But, it's as big of a tank that I want to fit right there and it's as much as I want to take care of at this time. I'm thinking about using small rocks and making it a tall aquascape. I have a lot of old dry rock that I want to wash, bleach and use. It won't matter when the coralline algae starts growing on everything.

This time around, I want to use a kalkwasser stirrer on my ATO system for all of the calcium and alkalinity needs, and I'll supplement with magnesium sulfate as necessary.

I still have some test kits laying around for various things, so I'm pretty fortunate there.

I think I'm going to be happy with the WP25's on this system - I don't need massive amounts of flow for a mixed reef.

I'm considering doing some kind of ATO mixing bucket in a cabinet / bookshelf beside the tank. I'll have to see how much room I am working with.

novahobbies

No, you don't see a lot of decent looking 55g tanks because of the width. But, it's as big of a tank that I want to fit right there and it's as much as I want to take care of at this time. I'm thinking about using small rocks and making it a tall aquascape. I have a lot of old dry rock that I want to wash, bleach and use. It won't matter when the coralline algae starts growing on everything.
Dry Rock, PVC tubes, a dremel tool, some Pond Foam, and your imagination. YOU know what to do. :D

snakeblitz33

I'm getting my RO unit home tomorrow and looking at the rest of my potential equipment I can use. The more I think about building the side cabinet, the more I like it. Just to house the 10g ato container. The RO unit is right behind the wall,... And in thinking of using two 10g tanks 1 for the ato and one to mix new saltwater in. Thoughts?

eric b 125

Sounds good to me. One thing that I had to take into consideration when I planned to use a 20L as an ATO was the potential for algae growth. I ended up painting the aquarium black on all sides, except for a narrow vertical strip where I can monitor the water level. Just something to think about...

silverado61

If the ATO is in a cabinet, he shouldn't have to worry about painting it. The cabinet should block out all the light.

Just a thought.

snakeblitz33

Thanks for the suggestions, guys... I think I am going to do the side cabinet and use the two ten gallon tanks - one for RO water top off and the other for mixing saltwater. I am looking forward for a place to put all my saltwater books as well - I think that would add a good finishing touch

I'm looking into Chinese LED sh*t boxes right now for a lighting source. I have heard many good things about them and I think I will enjoy it, especially on my pocketbook.

I'm also looking at getting a reef octopus nwb110 skimmer. I had one a while back. I'm also looking into a space saver skimmers... just not sure what I want to do just yet.

I brought home my old RO Unit. I will have to buy some new filters and a new membrane for it. I'm also adding a two channel TDS meter and a little mini-computer that monitors everything. I refuse to have another tank fail because of bad RO water. It makes me sick to think that the city is letting people drink that filth.

I'm bringing home a sheet of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood on Friday. I'm going to buy all the hinges and everything too. Be looking for pics on the thread over the weekend. :)

snakeblitz33

How would yall make these base rocks "reef safe" again? I was thinking a one week Chlorox bath and a two week rinse?