Clownfish Diet question

Hello to all,
Just for starters I wanted to thank everyone for getting me off and running in the right directions on my new saltwater adventure. Your information is priceless! I have a question concerning my Ocellaris Clownfish. They are swimming great and seem to love their new home. When I feed them the New Life Spectrum Marine Formula Fish Food they just suck the pellet in then spit it right back out. Is this normal? I also have frozen brine/seafood food in which the clownfish and chromis devour. I guess I just want my fish to get the nutrition they need and not waste a bunch of money or food if it is not necessary.
Thanks for your help.
Drew

jay0705

My occ love new life pellets. My maroon wont eat them. But eats flake lol. All eat frozen so just give them time aslong as there eating something

jay0705

The biggest issue, if u want to call it that is this. Most clowns are tank raised, there use to eating only what they've been fed at there hatchery/breeder. So it takes a bit for them to open their menu options lol

bang guy

My opinion is to make your own frozen food for Clownfish. Flakes do more harm than good. Pellets are not easy to eat. Frozen Mysis Shrimp are excellent but more expensive and not as good as blending seafood for your own mix.

jay0705

My opinion is to make your own frozen food for Clownfish. Flakes do more harm than good. Pellets are not easy to eat. Frozen Mysis Shrimp are excellent but more expensive and not as good as blending seafood for your own mix.
I see this mentioned alot. Literally do u just blend various sea foods?

bang guy

Yep

I typically added a little RO water and a few drops of Cod Liver Oil. Skip the oil if you don't have a surface skimmer and a protein skimmer.