white calcium looking dots

tesipf

Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased a used 90 Gallon salt setup and have a couple of questions.
The fist is I have these white calcium looking dots all over everything, in the sump on the pumps, in the drilled part of the tank and there is no way for me to get all of them out.
Is it ok or will it hurt anything.
Also I have about 80 to 100 pounds of course looking sand I got from the seller that was in the tank.
I think he just let the tank go, and all of the snails looks they died in the sand, and the sand smells like rotten eggs.
I have cleaned it with fresh water and its looks pretty clean and now smells like the beach, should I dump it and replace it all or is it ok to use if, and if so what else other then rinsing it, what else should I do to it.
I have removed all of the shells that was in the sand.
Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks...Tom

mauler

I personally would buy new sand but if there are no fish you could use it and let it cure. The calcium spots are harmless I wouldn't worry about them

tesipf

Thank you for the info.
There wont be any fish for awhile, Its going to be a small reef with a few small fish.
What do you mean cure it and for how long?
Should I put it in the tank, and let the filters run?
Thanks...Tom

mauler

By cure I mean let the sand cycle sinces there's probably still dead animals in it. Running your filters is fine.