HELP! "things" spreading....

candaceswf

Administrator
So I've asked around here and no one is really sure what I have in my tank..... I spotted a little anemone the other day, then investigating to see if there were more anemones there were actually 10-15 "things", I don't even know what to call them. I'll try to get a pic tonight, don't know why I haven't yet.

They kinda look like one of those trees out of Dr. Suess books lol, they have a little stalk, and then the top of the "tree" is pink-ish, with tentacles (or what looks like tentacles), and they're flow-y lol, they sway alot with the water. And now they're spreading :( I just don't like not knowing what they are, and that they're going to get everywhere if I don't do something about it.

geridoc

We really need a photo, since there are many pest anemones that have varied coloration. The rate of spread is a little alarming, though.

candaceswf

Administrator
I know... I felt silly trying to explain it, when I knew I should have taken a pic as soon as I saw them. I did do a tad bit of research in the last few min and it looks like they could be hydroids.... ? supposedly they sting everything and no one has had any tips on getting rid of them other than covering them in "kalk"... I'm not sure if they mean "caulk" or kalk like kalkwasser, I highly doubt the latter. but I'm really worried about my pygmy possum wrasse, he's really shy anyway and we had people over this weekend so I figured that's why he was hiding but even after everyone left he wouldn't come out and I'm wondering if maybe he got stung or something.

bang guy

How large are these animals? Do they form a mat, runners, or separate polyps?

Your first description sounded like Clavularia but those are much larger than Hydroids. One animals that forms runners are a type of encrusting Gorgonian called Erythropodium. These can be bad news as they grow really fast.

candaceswf

Administrator
Here's the best pic I could get... They are quite small, half an inch if that. They are separate polyps, no mat or runners, and I spotted more yesterday, they're spreading really quickly.

upload_2014-10-21_8-32-43.png

bang guy

Hydroid.

If it were me I would just use boiling saltwater.

Boil saltwater and use a turkey baster to squirt the water directly on the hydroids. Keep doing it every chance you get and they will eventually be gone.

bang guy

They can be interesting in a small species tank. Feed them baby brine and they will start popping off small Jellyfish.

bang guy

They are just like Aiptasia. They will sting anything that tastes like food regardless of size. FYI - don't touch them.

candaceswf

Administrator
Ok I'll try not to.... does the boiling saltwater work pretty well?? I was contemplating soaking the rock in fresh water, I know it would kill off everything in the process, but I want to be sure they're gone. I was planning on spending alot of money (well alot to me) on lights and corals, and I don't want any in there if they'll just come back and ruin things later.

bang guy

In my experience it works really well.

There are a lot of downsides to sterilizing live rock. In my opinion it's much worse than buying new rock.

candaceswf

Administrator
Will these things only be on my rock? Like I said I just want to be sure they're all gone, I'm contemplating starting over :(

bang guy

If it's good live rock then it is loaded with animals that channel water all throughout the rock. If you kill these animals they don't just go away immediately. It can take many months of being in a tank before all of the phosphate is consumed. Have you seen anyone's tank where they buy really really good live rock and then let ammonia skipe so high it kills most of the animals in the rock? These are the people posting here that they have an hair algae problem they can't figure out.

Try the turkey baster with boiling saltwater. Just use the water from your tank and microwave it. It kill on contact. They will eventually all be gone.

snakeblitz33

Biologically speaking, I always thought hydroids were really neat. albeit not something you necessarily want in your reef tank.