Need help picking out tank

aquatix

When I was 16 I got my first job at an aquarium store. I was hooked by the end of my first week. I spent the next 9 years of my life with 3-5 tanks at a time. I then got married, had kids, etc., and left the hobby. Fast forward 10 years later and I saw a billboard for Reefapolooza in Costa Mesa today. Needless to say, I feel the bug again and want to get back into the hobby.

I just so happen to have an open spot in my office at work:

IMG_4018.JPG

The opening has the following dimensions

a TIGHT 4 feet long, and not an inch more
2 feet wide, but can go a little more if needed
a max of 5 feet in height, and if the stand is 29 inches tall, it would be the same height at the other counters in the pic

Here is where I need help. Walking around the event today, and looking around online, it's obvious there are a ton of options. Can someone give me some advice on how to proceed?

I'm not sure I'm looking for a full-blown reef tank (I'd even consider the fake coral if algae isn't a problem), but maybe live rock and some hearty coral. I'd really love to get a juvenile emperor angel and watch it grow.

What do you all suggest for a tank/system these days that helps keep maintenance at a low and looks great. I really liked what I saw in the aquariums without hoods... pretty neat. I always had scratching problems with acrylic so was thinking of glass unless things have changed in the last 10 years.

The biggest concern I have for this space is the temperature. Our AC/heater is spotty and the temp can fluctuate in the office. I realize getting heaters in the sump won't be a problem, but is there a good chiller in the market to ensure the temp stays consistent?

I don't mind spending a little extra cash if it means saving money and headaches in the long run.

Really looking forward to your thoughts as I get back into the greatest hobby in the world! Hope to meet everyone at future events. Thank you!

flower

Hi,

A column tank might just fit the bill for your tight space. I have a 56g tall tank that I have in my very small bedroom, it takes up less space then the 30g I had in there before. I never recommend getting a small baby, and letting it grow to rehome later... No tank that will fit in your tight space is suitable for an Emperor angel.

A chiller will run about $500.00. I have the Arctica 1/10hp on the 90g, and the AquaEuru USA 1/10hp on the 56g... both are titanium chillers, and both do a good job, the temps cool to 1 point temperature accuracy. The 90g is a cold water potbelly seahorse tank, and stays at 66 degrees, the 56g is used for Kuda seahorses, and is kept at 74 degrees. I always purchase glass aquariums because I don't like the acrylic either, they scratch way too easy.

I don't recommend fake corals, they won't look good for long, there are corals for every lighting and tank condition... it's just a matter of doing your homework to know what to purchase. Mushroom corals are super low maintenance and look awesome.

kopczynski

Marineland 60 gallon tank dimensions are 48' by 12.5" by 25" it is tempered glass though and isn't pre drilled.

flower

Marineland 60 gallon tank dimensions are 48' by 12.5" by 25" it is tempered glass though and isn't pre drilled.
I have one rule...if it isn't pre-drilled, don't do a sump system, those overflows are a huge pain in the butt. I'm sure if you keep looking, you will find one that fits your needs.

geridoc

I think Flower is on the right track. A 60 gallon will fit your space, but get a pre-drilled model and install a sump in the cabinet. The sump will give you some extra volume as well as non-display space for hardware like heaters, the chiller and skimmer as well as a home for some macroalgae.

flower

Hi,

Looking at your office picture... You have a good deal of light in there, make sure your spot is not in direct sunlight at any point of the day.

great space for the tank just remember that the glass tank is 4" but add 2" more for the stand that's not going to fit if its already tight. what kind of lights are you thinking for your tank? a sump at the bottom is a great idea also and try to get something to block out that natural light if using fake coral cuz algea will grow like crazy