Covers for bulkheads?

Hi all! My husband and I are still working on our tank before we add water (long process). We are finally ready to add water, but we are concerned that eventually when we have CC or fish that they will get sucked into the closed loop through the drilled holes in the tank. I have read that some people use egg crate and/or mesh to cover these holes, but how would we attach these materials to the bulkheads? Do we just 'stuff' some mesh in there or should we glue around the opening? Any thoughts, ideas, or advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

bang guy

Do a search on "Aquarium Suction Screen" They are inexpensive, effective, and the black ones don't detract from the view.

Last edited:

silverado61

Personally, I use overflow boxes with lids. I guess you can use egg crate to cover the holes but anything small enough can still get through. Marine grade cylicone caulk would work to keep it in place. Just make sure all the bonding surfaces are clean. And dont use soap. Distilled white vinegar will do fine.

Thanks for the replies! We do have an internal overflow box that protects the drain to the sump. I could put some egg crate over that, but the closed loop system has no protection. I will look into the suction screens! Thanks bang guy!

So do I need these screens for the drains only, or should I also get screens for the return pipe openings where the water is entering the tank through the closed loop system?