20 Gal L LED lighting

kirshman

Hi,
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I searched the forum and can't find an answer. I've been out of the hobby for 4 years and a lot has changed. Would a couple of 60 degree par38's be best or are people using some sort of led strip for this size tank? I'd like to keep mostly softies in the tank, but maybe a couple of sps too. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

mauler

Look orbit marine leds or look at some of the cheap chinese boxes I've used both and the orbits seemed to grow my zoas better but the chinese boxes seem to grow sps better.

jay0705

Leds are the new wave, mauler is correct orbit makes a good light. The Chinese idk about, a 20 isnt a huge tank so I would think any decent led would produce enough light

kirshman

So I bought a 120 watt programmable light. Those Chine boxes are really something. My question is do I run it full bore or cut back the power some?

snakeblitz33

Most people start their boxes out maximg at 35% and keeping it there until you add your last coral, then ramping it up 5% per week on either channel to about 75-80%. Leds lose approximately 1-3% of its intensity per year, so after you reach your 75% max, add 1-3% per year that you keep the fixture.