Is it necessary to drill holes in a saltwater tank?

stern

I looking for a used 55 gallon which most out there were for tropical fish, Is it necessary to drill two holes in the tank? where would be the best position for the holes?

beaslbob

NO!!!!!!!!!
You can make a hob drain for $20 worth of pvc pipes/fittings.
If you must drill most aquarium bottom glass is tempered and will shatter. Some tanks of tempered side glass as well.
So IMHO better to do a hob drain.
Plus you could always partition the tank so the last 3" is a refigum area and skip the refug/sump all together. I used 1/4" square plastic grid lighting diffusers from home depot. 2'x4' section was like $11 or so.

my .02

stern

Oh wow good to know, maybe Ill just buy a used pre-drilled tank form the fish store, they have the old fashion tanks with the thick heavy glass. so do you think I can go with the bottom side or the bottom of the tank, I think I seen both types there, what is the best way to clean out an old used tank? what kind of solutions to use.

beaslbob

In cleaning out old tanks, I use bleach. Sometimes vinegar if the white crust is thick. Be sure to rinse a few times until all the smells are gone.

stern

ok thanks guys!!! I'm glad I found this site, In life there are a lot of people that like to take all the knowledge they can get and never share or teach others, not considering they were once where you are at now. I like to share my knowledge and help others out as much as I can in life! With that being said, so far you guy are the best!