Help!

cysco1187

I've had a sandsifter starfish for months and my levels are fine but I noticed the other day that he's not moving that much at all. He also seems very limp and I he only has one little section of tenticle feet that he's using. Help me!

cysco1187

Did you recently do a water change?

What are you feeding it?

What are your water parameters?
IDK what you mean by parameters. It's a 20 gallon tank and I feed krill and mysis shrimp. I just looked and one of his legs is broke and almost off. I've had him since April and there's plenty to sift through in the sand. Pretty sure he's on his way out :_(

mauler

By parameters he means what are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, and salinity levels at.

flower

I had a star fish crush himself under rock that was on top of the sand...I learned my lesson, rock first and push the sand over it. Is it possible your starfish got himself caught under a rock?

bang guy

IDK what you mean by parameters. It's a 20 gallon tank and I feed krill and mysis shrimp. I just looked and one of his legs is broke and almost off. I've had him since April and there's plenty to sift through in the sand. Pretty sure he's on his way out :_(
When did you last do a water change and do you check salinity before replacing.

What is the salinity of your tank water?

When you feed do you place krill and Mysis in the sand for the Starfish?

What do you mean by "there's plenty to sift through"?

silverado61

Let's clarify. Is it a sand sifting brittle star or is it a serpent star? There's a difference.
Can you post a photo?

flower

Let's clarify. Is it a sand sifting brittle star or is it a serpent star? There's a difference.
Can you post a photo?
I never heard of a SAND sifting brittle star, I thought serpent and brittle stars were meat eaters, that fed on the dead, dying and uneaten food that drifts into the rocks. I say THOUGHT because I lean new stuff everyday, so maybe they sift sand or there is a type that does, nothing surprises me anymore.

A sand sifting star is what I have, but it would not feed on krill or mysis shrimp. it feeds on the fauna in the sand, they dig, and you seldom if ever see them, since they live under the sand. Mauler said his star had a broken leg, so I thought maybe it suffered some damage in a rock slide, even rock shifting a little can harm diggers.

bang guy

The damage is consistent with osmotic shock or starvation. Most sand sifting starfish will eat Mysis or other meaty bits of seafood placed in the sand.

bang guy

I'm leaning toward osmotic shock or low salinity. I'm having some trouble getting any answers so I'm not much help.

silverado61

There are no sand sifting serpent stars. lol. The description was a little vague so I just wanted to clear it up is all.
Since brittles and serpents are different in terms of what they do for food in some ways I thought that knowing what it actually was would help to clear things up some what for an answer. Serpents do filter for food as one way of eating but they don't sift. Just trying to shed some light.

I asked what else he had in the tank because some fish do attack and/or eat brittles and serpents. Hence the almost amputated leg.

I know next to nothing about brittles since I don't keep them. I only have serpents.

flower

The damage is consistent with osmotic shock or starvation. Most sand sifting starfish will eat Mysis or other meaty bits of seafood placed in the sand.
Now THAT, I did not know...see...I always learn something, just about every time you post.

LOL, Silverado, You said there was a difference between a sand sifting brittle star, and a serpent star, on what they eat. I'm pretty sure a brittle star and serpent star are exactly the same for care and habits, the only difference is the appearance, brittle stars long feelers on their arms/legs, and the serpent stars have very, very short feelers, and the color. I'm sure there are species differences that somebody like Bang Guy would know about, but the care and needs are the same.

bang guy

Kinda like the difference between a Puma and a Cougar.I miss Ophiura, she was a Starfish expert. I mean, a real expert, not a Holiday Inn resident.

My understanding is that there is no difference between Serpent Starfish and Brittle Starfish. They are common names and can be used interchangeably. Like the difference between a Cougar and a Puma.